• unenlightened
    I'm doing this. But I have no scheme and I am not doing it to you but with you. You keep trying to take my weapon and turn it on me, but you fail, because I have no weapon.
  • unenlightened
    What interests me, that is not being considered there, is not the effectiveness of advertising, in terms of how many people buy deodorant or vote for candidate X. Rather it is that whether anyone buys or not, each and every advert is designed to upset, and does upset.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    What interests me, that is not being considered there, is not the effectiveness of advertising, in terms of how many people buy deodorant or vote for candidate X. Rather it is that whether anyone buys or not, each and every advert is designed to upset, and does upset.unenlightened

That is, of course, the new trend in advertising. Instead of just providing the information, what is available and at what price, advertising has moved toward convincing you that you "need" X. When there is no rational need for that need, the "upset" produces that need through irrational means.
  • Terrapin Station
    What interests me, that is not being considered there, is not the effectiveness of advertising, in terms of how many people buy deodorant or vote for candidate X. Rather it is that whether anyone buys or not, each and every advert is designed to upset, and does upset.unenlightened

I reserve "upset" for a sort of distressed emotional state (not necessary a strong emotional state, but a distressed emotional state nonetheless). I'd have to guess that you don't reserve "upset" for that, because clearly, most people are not in distressed emotional states upon watching commercials. So I have to wonder just how you use "upset."
  • Baden
    That is, of course, the new trend in advertising.Metaphysician Undercover

Not so new really. It's being going on since the 'hard sell' of the 1930s, at least, and right up through the brand revolution of the 70s-80s when methods became more refined as style pretty much triumphed over substance. It's just more effective now, particularly with the advent of neuromarketing, which involves direct knowledge of how the brain reacts to specific imagery etc. (research is carried out using MRI machines and the like). Anyway, anyone who thinks they are immune to this is fooling themselves. There is no absolute intellectual override. Watching advertising is a psychologically debilitating activity and designed to be so.
  • Baden
    So I have to wonder just how you use "upset."Terrapin Station

I think it's a fair word to use if admittedly somewhat misleading. What's upset in my view is the kind of psychological balance we casually refer to as 'satisfaction', or more broadly, 'happiness'.
  • Mongrel
    So you aren't attacking anybody. Good.

I've actually been schemeless, and it's a drag. Psyche is just an aspect of All. Psychic scheme plugs into All-scheme even if you're eliminative.

Scheme orders experience. It's a buffer. All your coping mechanisms arise from it. People who have no coherent scheme at all are crazy and not in a good way.

We functional people have some scheme though we may know it's a working scenario.
  • unenlightened
    I reserve "upset" for a sort of distressed emotional state (not necessary a strong emotional state, but a distressed emotional state nonetheless). I'd have to guess that you don't reserve "upset" for that, because clearly, most people are not in distressed emotional states upon watching commercials. So I have to wonder just how you use "upset."Terrapin Station

'Distress' will do as well, as a word. The effect of watching a single ad with a sudden klaxon and flashing warning sign is very very small and easily dismissed. But the overall effect is large. One cannot go out without a shower and deodorant, makeup, or whatever, one cannot admit guests without cleaning the house; one is made anxious, one is undermined, one is made fearful, not by a single attempt at manipulation, but by a lifetime of manipulation, such that this condition is taken as 'natural'.
  • Cavacava
    The Salem cigarette commercials. It is a mentholated cigarette, and the ad went along the lines that it took just one puff to take you out of your moment and put you into Salem country, with all its clear fresh air and beautiful setting & company.

The process of creating an ideal out of an object, trying to confer transcendental status upon the object, giving it power by making its presupposition necessary for the achievement of an ideal (we all want to be in Salem Country, but you can't unless you puff a Salem ;) ). This is what fetish ( 'compelling') is about, in my opinion. Ads strive to work in ways similar to the way stilettos, undergarments, black leather and the rest do the trick for some. Gratification is contingent upon purchase (and of course proper use) of the advertisers product. Get your rocks off ...take a puff.
    (not saying 'compelling' is always sexually driven, but...)
  • Wosret
    You know, deodorants increase the bacteria growth that causes BO ten fold, so that when you're not using it, you notice. It largely creates the problem that it then solves. Mouth wash was a floor cleaner, before Listerine invented bad breath, and said everyone's talking about you behind your back. Tooth cleaning is more damaging to the life of your teeth than never brushing at all.

Too many products literally do the opposite of the thing they're supposed to do.
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    Funny how the thread's subject gets diverted by jealousy, envy and forum cults.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I reserve "upset" for a sort of distressed emotional state (not necessary a strong emotional state, but a distressed emotional state nonetheless). I'd have to guess that you don't reserve "upset" for that, because clearly, most people are not in distressed emotional states upon watching commercials. So I have to wonder just how you use "upset."Terrapin Station

I would say that when there is produced within a person, the feeling of need, when that apprehended need has no rational basis, this constitutes a distressed emotional state. This would be comparable to an addiction which is not recognized by the addict as an addiction. There is a distressed emotional state which is not recognized for what it is.
  • BC
    At least sometimes advertising takes a lengthier, more complex approach. "Lengthy" requires a very interesting narrative. The people won't sit still for almost 4 minutes of a dull commercial message. Four minutes of an intriguing message, however, is quite possible.

Clio Awards ("Clios" are advertising awards.)

With another year comes another slew of trends taking over the Internet.

These digital innovations and silly social media challenges are tempting for marketers hoping to stay socially relevant, but it takes thought, skill and creativity to execute such trendy marketing campaigns effectively.

Now as the end of 2016 fast approaches, let’s take a look at a few of the creative ways marketers capitalized on this year’s digital and Internet trends.

• BC
    I would say that when there is produced within a person, the feeling of need, when that apprehended need has no rational basis, this constitutes a distressed emotional state. This would be comparable to an addiction which is not recognized by the addict as an addiction. There is a distressed emotional state which is not recognized for what it is.Metaphysician Undercover

Interesting.

Addiction and aspirations intersect in the case of advertising for cigarettes: The pleasure that cigarettes deliver is "hit relief". Smokers are addicted to nicotine which has a short, dose effect on the body--it might be as short as 20 minutes. Once the nicotine has been metabolized, the need for another dose rises, and the smoker feels uncomfortable. "I want another cigarette." Nicotine is absorbed quickly, so the first few draws bring relief, which is experienced as a small pleasure. The purpose of advertising is to associate the addicts relief with a particular brand: Salem, Kool, Marlboro, True, American Spirit (an organic brand)... whatever. The imagery varies by brand. The Marlboro masculine cowboy is a prime example.

If I were to return to smoking (haven't smoked for 22 years) I'd resume where I left off with Marlboro. Why? The nicotine in Marlboro is the same as it is in every other tobacco product, the the taste is not all that much different from other brands. But... I identified with the brand, the label, the box, the imagery -- even though I am about as far from being a cowboy as everybody else is.

The image of the Marlboro Man

Were I to resume smoking, nicotine addition would be awakened almost immediately, and then the whole need/relief cycle would resume.
  • BC
    You know, deodorants increase the bacteria growth that causes BO ten fold, so that when you're not using it, you notice. It largely creates the problem that it then solves. Mouth wash was a floor cleaner, before Listerine invented bad breath, and said everyone's talking about you behind your back. Tooth cleaning is more damaging to the life of your teeth than never brushing at all.

Too many products literally do the opposite of the thing they're supposed to do.
    Wosret

Deodorants mask smell. Antiperspirants plug up pores from which sweat is excreted. Some people stink more than others -- not a fault, just a fact. Masking body odor (or washing away the source) does work. The flora and fauna on the skin is affected -- washing will change the mix a bit, not a lot. Using harsh disinfectants would change the mix hugely, but people rarely take a soak in chlorine bleach. But soaps, deodorants, and ordinary cleansers don't change the flora/fauna mix that much. Besides, it's always changing anyway, soap and water or not.

I believe what you say about Listerine™ -- the stuff is ghastly. However, bad breath was around before listerine. Sonnet 130 by Shakespeare says

"And in some perfumes is there more delight
    Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks."

As for teeth, unless you are using a wire brush and sand on your teeth, you are mistaken. Good dental hygiene helps teeth last for a long time.
  • Terrapin Station

Are you seriously saying that putting deodorant on is only something you'd do because you've been upset, or that it's some perpetual state of being upset that leads to you showering and taking care of hygiene issues in general?
  • Terrapin Station
    What's upset in my view is the kind of psychological balance we casually refer to as 'satisfaction', or more broadly, 'happiness'.Baden

Okay, but that's very different than the "upset" I'm thinking of. If we're simply saying that someone might want (to buy) something rather than not wanting that, I don't see what the issue is.
  • Terrapin Station
    Just curious if any of the folks who are against showering, deodorant, brushing their teeth, etc. have at least one romantic partner. (And does your romantic partner shower, use deodorant, brush their teeth, etc.?)

Also, do you folks clean yourself including your hands after you go to the bathroom, or is that an evil plot against you in your view, too?
  • Shawn
    Someone mentioned a video called, The Century of the Self.

It's 3 hours long; but, can be split up in 3 parts for watching. Never felt so enlightened watching something about the evolution of the American psyche.

Here it is in case one is lazy (as I am):

• Wosret

I meant professional cleaning, and whitening, not simply brushing, unless you're doing it too much, and while the enamel is soft.

Yes, I meant antiperspirants. I use perfume of course, lol. The other point that it won't actually change it a lot isn't what I've read. You can tell how stinky you are by how dry your ear-wax is, the drier the better.

I'm sure that some people did have bad breath, but was everyone washing their mouths out with soap prior to an aggressive campaign? Surely that would have been in relation to the norm which wasn't minty fresh, and could be a sign of stomach problems or infection, metabolic syndrome, and things like that.
  • Wosret

Women actually like your BO if you're attractive. Women like masculinity, and are generally turned off by men as worried about their appearance and hygiene as they are, believe it or not.
  • Cavacava
    The people won't sit still for almost 4 minutes of a dull commercial message. Four minutes of an intriguing message, however, is quite possible.

What are they doing to you up there in MN? 4 minute commercials?! Sounds like cruel and unusual punishment. :)

Mannequins literally freak me out, my skin crawls. I am walking through a store and turn almost bumping into a mannequin, it takes me less than a second to realize it is unreal, and it takes me moments longer to regain my equilibrium.

The live models & the mannequins that participate in this commercial (its facile irony aside) are all young, wearing casual apparel. The models are all different shades of color and shapes, but none of them, neither model nor mannequin, are old & grey.

Message: If you want to look young, active and thereby be perceived as young attractive and vital, use Dove... its purification will enable you to appear young attractive and vital. You too can win the challenge of a having a clean desirable appearance.
  • Terrapin Station
    I would say that when there is produced within a person, the feeling of need, when that apprehended need has no rational basis, this constitutes a distressed emotional state.Metaphysician Undercover

Needs always hinge on wants/desires though.
  • unenlightened
    Are you seriously saying that putting deodorant on is only something you'd do because you've been upset, or that it's some perpetual state of being upset that leads to you showering and taking care of hygiene issues in general?Terrapin Station

I have a bath and change my socks almost every week whether I'm upset or not.

What I am saying is that advertising and propaganda deliberately set out to raise levels of anxiety and undermine confidence as a means of control, and that they have some effect is supported in the widely reported increase in mental illness. I'm saying that in the scheme of things, getting a whiff of body odour is not even worth talking about, likewise the eyelash lengthening effect of the latest mascara brush.

But even philosophers seem to think these are important moral issues or something. However, important though you may find it, this thread is supposed to be about mental health more so than the state of my underarms, so can we move on, please?
  • Cavacava

These women all Canadian?
  • Wosret

Look it up. Though I won't keep distracting from the topic... you crazies need this therapy!
  • Terrapin Station

Are you uncomfortable talking about yourself?
  • m-theory
    I think I definitely agree with you that the advertising industry does attempt to exploit people psychologically.
    I never thought about it as an important issue for some reason.
    I mean I can't imagine what could be done to regulate that sort of thing?

I also tend to assume that the consumer has some onus to educate themselves on such tactics, I even seem to recall being taught about propaganda and advertising in school.
  • unenlightened
    If anyone wants to start a thread about me, I'll certainly participate. I'm an interesting and important topic, and I have a particular interest in it and a unique perspective.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment