• Jack Cummins
    I have been rereading Huxley's Brave New World today and in the foreword I discovered that he says, 'in an age of advancement technology, inefficiency is the sin of the Holy Ghost.'

Returning to my topic of the unpardonable sin, I would say that this sums up the current position of life that performance is the be and end all of life as we know it now. Having worked in health care, I found that more important than inner reflection and self knowledge, performance markers and objectives were the main agenda.

Having entered the mental health profession, with my own experience of Catholicism and struggles with life, I wished to help individuals in their inner life. However, in the past few years I have found that in spite of mental health being supposedly about the inner life, the actual reality is not about that at all. What matters most is how governing bodies see quantitative evidence.

This sort of makes sense, looking back on the agenda of healthcare. The individuals are just part of what matters in the scheme of greater agendas, cost effectiveness.

In other words, from the health care provider's perspective the individual life and interior life is of very little significance in the scheme of it all. We are all parts of the machine. In the postmodern times, my interest in the inner world is the new unpardonable sin, so I am retro as we advance forward in the post apocalyptic Covid_19 world.
  • Jack Cummins
    My comment was written just now, so I don't know why it is showing up as 7 days ago. Perhaps time is collapsing amidst the techno glamour of the broken world.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet