• Roy Davies
    I’m a newbie to this forum, and I am intrigued by the names people choose. An interesting aspect of this forum is that each argument has to stand by itself because, at least initially, one has no idea of the reputation of the person making the argument. In normal discourse, a step in an argument would have a value that is a function of the argument itself and the reputation of the person saying it.

Anyway, I digress - I chose a name coming into the forum that represents me - it is my name, and I’m not trying to project anything other than who I really am. But some of the other user names are obviously chosen to project some persona or imply a reputation.

I wonder what the motivations are for choosing these names...
  • Michael
    I too chose my name because it's my name.
  • Roy Davies
    Perhaps we are not imaginative enough to come up with something more inventive.
  • Roy Davies
    I suppose that there are those who seek anonymity by choosing a nom de plume. Perhaps they are uncomfortable with having their statements associated with themselves.

Then there are those that seem to choose a name associated with some desired attribute, or a philosopher that they perhaps aspire to emulate. Perhaps they are uncomfortable in being themselves, and wish to borrow the mana of another.

Me, I know I know nothing, and therefore my only direction is to decrease my ignorance. I assume my ideas are probably wrong, and I wish to be criticised, for only through such critique, can I find where the value of my ideas sits in the world of ideas. Only I can be me.
  • Sir2u
    No, I am not egoistic.
    I is just a phrase I have to repeat often in my job.
  • Noble Dust

Noble Dust is an album I made about 10 years ago; it's a phrase that to me at the time represented the dichotomy of mortality (Dust) vs. the inherent value of human life (Noble). Over the years its just become my go-to moniker wherever I happen to land on the internet; I don't think about it much when I use it.
  • jgill
    I chose a name coming into the forum that represents me - it is my name, and I’m not trying to project anything other than who I really am.Roy Davies

Ditto, although I use a simple contraction I like. My moniker was well known on a popular climbing forum before it vanished. My feeling is that we all reveal who we are, or provide easy clues one might follow to find out. Why hide behind an obscure avatar?
  • praxis
    I named myself after an exploded Klingon moon because, well, to be honest, I’m a raging nerd.

• 180 Proof
    The first time I joined an online discussion forum of any kind was back in early 2003 (which is now defunct and predecessor to this one). Then a newbee to blog-like public discussions & arguments with faceless strangers too, I deliberately chose a nom de guerr for its mask-like distancing from (and, not often enough, above) the fray, to remind myself to always try to present my views impersonally (which, also, failed too often) by "speaking" through an alter-ego like e.g. Plato's Socrates, Voltaire's Candide, Hume's Philo, Nietzsche's Zarathustra, or Camus' Sisyphus/Meursault. As best as I can recall, an 'impersonal voice' (somewhere between Spinoza and Beckett) was the inspiration ...

So the particular "moniker" 180 Proof came about off the cuff and tongue-in-chief connoting both 'almost pure' alcohol (90% - very combustible!) and 'reversible' (absurd I suppose), which more and more suited my online critical-dialectical 'career' as a self-appointed pro bono "cult deprogramner" (contra bible/quran/WOO-thumping) ...
    I do not know how to teach philosophy without becoming a disturber of established religion. — Benny Spinoza
    ... and "philosophical rodeo clown" (contra trollish bullshit & charlatanry/sophistry). I haven't ever given this 'persona' as such much thought; but there it is, my ironizing masquerade.

No doubt, the personal being philosophical, 'the real me' is also expressed through many thousands of posts and hundreds of intense, non-trivial, discussions / debates. I seem to be among the very few members here and elsewhere who bothers to detail my member profile (i.e. lay (synoptic) autiobiographical-philosophical cards on the table), not at all "hiding" behind either a name or moniker. That's my inner child, my daimon, up there on the top-left looking every one of my interlocutors in the eye with that earnest expression "Let's reason together, muthafuckas!" (Samuel L Jackson voice-over).

:death: :flower:

edit:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/460745 :up:
  • Roy Davies
    Let's reason together, muthafucka!180 Proof

I like the concept behind this. I once started a highly unsuccessful website called humanitycomputer.org, the premise being that the human race should be able to reason itself out of whatever messing it gets itself into. Very idealistic - I was much younger and more naive then.
  • Roy Davies
    I’m a raging nerdpraxis

Made me smile.

my go-to moniker wherever I happen to land on the internetNoble Dust

I often use 'the VRguy' for the same reason - having worked in the VR industry for decades.
  • Gus Lamarch
    My pen name.

I have to say anything else?
  • Pinprick
    I like the word pinprick, for whatever reason. I think it started with the way the word is used in the Marilyn Manson song “Cyclops.” I had an artist friend and I thought “Pinprick Productions” would be a cool name for a production company. I liked the alliteration, and even came up with a logo and introduction thing you see at the beginning of movies. Basically, a black screen with dots of light being poked in it in the shape of a spiral (which again was a reference to the MM song). The word seemed to grow from there, and seemed appropriate for whatever I was doing creatively. I occasionally write poetry and used pinprick as a play on pen-prick. For philosophy, it seems to fit my style of primarily trying to poke holes in arguments, rather than create much of my own.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.