• Banno
    This disregards my OP.dussias

It's a consequence of your OP:
    This is important and will help me survive.dussias

Why "survive"?Banno

Because it's binding, a decision that will help one live on; either physically or through a legacy.dussias

And why is that what we ought do?Banno

And why is that what we ought do?Banno

Because we die and tend to want to live.dussias

SO "The ultimate technique in persuasion and rethoric(sic) is..."

...do stuff that doesn't kill you.
    Banno
  • dussias

NO. Your logic is faulty.

You say do stuff that doesn't kill you.
    I refer to stuff that will help you not die.

It's different.
  • Benkei
    As any psychologist will tell you: listening, summarising and asking open-ended questions are the only way you're going to persuade anyone. If you don't listen to someone, they're not going to listen to you. Of course, internet fora don't support such a format.
  • ssu
    The ultimate way to persuade someone is to first understand where they are coming from, in other words, knowing something about their state of mind and the knowledge they already possess. Then, one has to create a link between that knowledge base and the idea you want to implant. An idea sits best in a mind if that mind can see how it links to existing ideas. Good teachers and effective salespeople do this.Roy Davies

This is basically how also leadership works. First you have to know what those being lead think of the issue to be done, their own motivation and their own objectives (which naturally means you have to listen and understand them). Teaching and/or leadership should be changed based on the motivation of the people.

The real problem is that too often teaching or leadership training focuses on the best type scenario were those to be taught or those to be lead are already very motivated either to learn or do the task while the training rarely sidelines the worst case situation, where the individuals have absolutely no own incentive or will to do or to learn anything. And when there's no carrot in it for people, them not getting the stick is the only carrot you can give (and I hope nobody takes this too literally). Yet this simply isn't tolerated, as normally learning environments and leadership is viewed in a positive situation and the training should be positive, uplifting and motivational, basically the training is a statement itself.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.