Positron

Relativistic speed

Proton:

1. Rest mass = 1.67262192369(51)×10^−27 kg

2. Charge = +1

Positron:
    1. Rest mass = 9.10938356(11)×10^−31 kg

2. Charge = +1

According to theory of relativity, the mass of an object increases with relative velocity with the change becoming noticeable at relativistic (near speed of light) velocities.

Suppose we accelerate a positron to a velocity, v, that causes its mass to be equal to a proton i.e. the mass of a positron speeding by at velocity v = rest mass of a proton.

I don't know if this is possible but if it is, does this qualify as a positron transforming/changing into a proton?

Imagine I'm conducting an experiment with protons at rest and the protons are behaving exactly as expected and then a positron wanders into the experimental area at just the right velocity to give it the mass of a proton. Is it possible for me to tell the difference between the two?
  • Kenosha Kid
    I don't know if this is possible but if it is, does this qualify as a positron transforming/changing into a proton?TheMadFool

I'm afraid not, for a few reasons. First, particles are defined by their rest masses, not frame-dependent masses, and as magnitudes of four-momenta which do not change with velocity.

Another issue is that positrons and protons have other properties beyond mass and charge. Protons are baryons and preserve something called baryon number in interactions. Positrons are leptons and preserve lepton number. (Not all the time, actually.)

In terms of discerning them, the positron would have to be moving close to the speed of light to have the mass of a proton at rest. So that would be a clue. It would be the one whooshing past :p
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.