• dussias
    Anything you can name or think about is not real, I think that was Kant.

So, the only solution is to say that IT can be or can't.
    And that previous sentence is a lie.

Want to think about it? Thanks to physics, we already know that "being" is a matter of uncertainty.
    But people only think about this concept in the subatomic level, apply it to all levels.

That makes everything questionable, even whether it's questionable.
  • Mww
    the only solutiondussias

What does only IT can or can’t be actually solve?
  • dussias

The problem of what is and what is not.

It's the problem of agreeing on something, of deciding, even if it doesn't make sense whether it can be agreed or decided upon.

It's the ultimate question, for which any answer or viewpoint is valid while none of them are.

It's the fish we can barely spot in the pond; whom no matter what our harpoon will never even graze.
  • Mww

Yeah, I suppose there are cases where IT is the only valid answer, while at the same time not answering anything. But these are the exceptions rather than the rule, whereas it’s much more efficient just to say I don’t know.
  • dussias
    maybe, but we know to some extent what we're talking about.
  • Mww

Exactly, and that is the rule. Just makes me wonder why we need to even consider questions for which the answers are altogether quite worthless. Pretty simple, actually; if everything is questionable, just don’t question everything. Only question stuff for which an answer is both possible and rational.

Oh....and you thought wrong: “the previous statement” is, not so much a lie, but catastrophically false. What we think about and name can be real; it’s just that the means for doing it, are not the same kind of real. In other words, things named and thought about are physically real, the representations of them are not, yet still real in another sense.

Just sayin’. Do with it as you wish.
  • dussias
    "catastrophically false" made me chuckle!

If everything is questionable, just don’t question everything. Only question stuff for which an answer is both possible and rational. — Mww
    This is a great framework for efficiency, but maybe not the best for discerning knowledge.

I was about to ask about your definition of real, but doing so would be missing the whole point. Still, I'd be happy to read it.

Do with it as you wish.
    An easily underestimated statement.
  • Mww
    This is a great framework for efficiency, but maybe not the best for discerning knowledge.dussias

A pox...POX, I say....on language philosophers. Now, if you please, excuse me while I indulge in it.

Knowledge is not discerned, it is a consequence of a logical process, in effect, an acquisition.
    ————

If you were going to ask, but decided not to ask, it doesn’t matter what the response would be, for a judgement has already been made as to its relevance. In this case, it is, much to my chagrin, against me, for it seems your point would be missed by whatever my definition might be. Some would say that’s rather presumptuous....but not me. I readily admit to missing the point, insofar as I find the grounds for whatever it might be, as given so far, suspect.

Real: that to which an object can be thought to belong necessarily.
    ————-

”Do with it as you wish.”

An easily underestimated statement.
    dussias

Could be. But actually, it’s pretty hard to underestimate something so ill-defined as “as you wish”.
  • dussias
    Real: that to which an object can be thought to belong necessarily.Mww

I like this definition, but mind Russell's Paradox: A set cannot contain itself. Maybe "thought to pertain to" instead of "belong"?

something so ill-defined as “as you wish”.Mww

Agreed, but it's a darn elegant way to say it.
  • Mww
    Maybe "thought to pertain to" instead of "belong"?dussias

Compromise: subsumed under, rather than pertain to?

Nonetheless shall I insist on “necessarily”. (Stomps foot...exits stage right)

Where would we be without elegance.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.