• Torus34
    The topic line gives the three possible responses to the question, 'Is there a god?'

At first glance they appear to be somewhat equal. But they're not, at least as far as ethics and morality go. Here's why.

If the answer is 'Yes,' a set of what can be called ethical/moral axioms come with it. Chose the religion and Bob's your uncle. You have a structure or, if you wish, a foundation upon which to build further.

However, if the answer's either of the other two, you're in the same place as far as ethics/morals go. You must develop a rationale for a set of axioms before you begin.

A secular humanist, [No, that's not necessarily contradictory, Dear Reader,] I've wrestled with the question of ethical/moral axioms for a long time. Thus far, I've not tapped out.

Regards to all.
  • BitconnectCarlos
    If the answer is 'Yes,' a set of what can be called ethical/moral axioms come with it.Torus34

Not necessarily. Someone could conceive of God in a way outside of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic tradition. Someone could conceive of God as Gaia or some type of universal mind or spirit in which case a systemic of ethics wouldn't automatically follow.
  • Torus34
    There's always the Flying Spaghetti Monster to consider. ;-)

I skipped a step in the OP. It was that once a god is accepted, there are a number of religions to choose from. Of course, one could always adopt the position that structured religions are unnecessary to believe in the existence of a god, but then such a position would lead to having to define a set of moral/ethical axioms, nu?

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
  • Gnomon
    Not necessarily. Someone could conceive of God in a way outside of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic tradition. Someone could conceive of God as Gaia or some type of universal mind or spirit in which case a systemic of ethics wouldn't automatically follow.BitconnectCarlos
    Good point! I was in the Agnostic "maybe" category, but developed a Deist god-concept based on the science of Information Theory, and concluded that a First Cause (the Enformer) must exist -- necessarily. But it would be similar to Plato's LOGOS. Since I have no direct revelation from that hypothetical creative deity, I've had to develop my own "system of ethics" from observation of the Creation. That god-model is compatible with something like Spinoza's "god of philosophers", which he called Universal Substance, and I call Information or Enformation. :smile:

Ironically, Atheists and Trolls on this forum still lump me into the "Yes" category with traditional
    Abrahamic Theists. Perhaps that's because they can't conceive of belief in a logically necessary but non-empirical Principle of Existence.

A secular humanistTorus34
    Although, I practice no religion, and my ethic is essentially Secular Humanism, I do believe that an unknowable First Cause is the only reasonable explanation for the existence of my world. For me, it's not contradictory. :cool:
  • Gregory
    I think movement is like quantity and Time like quality, so movement causes time to start. Hence we have a consistent materialistic model that has no need for a super-mind. Whether or not matter can be in a vague energy or information state doesnt really affect this theory
  • 180 Proof
    The topic line gives the three possible responses to the question, 'Is there a god?'Torus34
    Define "god" or specify which conception of divinity is at issue, otherwise the question is incoherent.
  • Torus34
    I admit, thanks to a comment above, to there being more than three possible responses. 'god' was assumed to represent a supreme entity.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
  • unenlightened
    Define "god" or specify which conception of divinity is at issue, otherwise the question is incoherent.180 Proof

Yes no maybe, I don't know, can you repeat the question. (song)

According to definition I think I can make all three answers feel correct to me. For examples...

Def: God (your god) is whatever is of central importance in your life; whatever you give your life up to. It might be money, or power, or justice or law, or love, or sadly, your own pleasure.
    Answer - yes.
    Def: God is the big guy in the sky who hates faggots, and likes everyone to sing His praises every Sunday, and doesn't want anyone to have any fun.
    Answer - no.
    Def: God is whatever, beyond the universe of space and time, had some purpose for setting things up just so, that we are participants in.
    Answer - maybe.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.