• Eremit
    Well, I was thinking about something like that pool of potentiality, something that is not, but could be - it is just waiting for some mind to see it and make it real...
  • MSC
    it is just waiting for some mind to see it and make it real...Eremit

If it is there for a mind to see, then chances are it is part of reality in some way. Whether existence or subsistence.

This question seems kind of dumb to me, but then maybe I'm just not getting it and I'm the one who is dumb in this instance.
  • deletedusercb
    I am not sure what you mean by unsconsiousness (is this the unconscious?) being beyond reality. It is part of reality, or? The unconscious certainly is a part of reality. But I am likely not understanding something here. Whatever it is, it sounds interesting?
  • Gnomon
    If we could equate our unconsciousness with reality beyond, should we then care about it?Eremit
    Hi Hermit
    I'm not sure what you mean by equating "unconscious with reality". Freud's term "unconscious" is today more appropriately called "sub-conscious". For each person, there is only one holistic consciousness, but only a tiny fraction is the "awareness" that most of us equate with consciousness (see image below). By far the majority of brain functions are subliminal : below the threshold of awareness. But Jung broadened the concept of Consciousness, and reified it into a mystical Collective Un-consciousness. And others have gone so far as to imagine Consciousness as a latent energy or "The Force" that is out there in the ether, for us to tap into. But that's true only as an as-if fictional metaphor. Although, my own notion of EnFormAction could be mistaken for the fictional Star Wars Force.

If Consciousness (imagined as mind-stuff) is the substance of Reality, then your equation would be correct. I don't take that analogy literally though, but I do think that human consciousness (the function of the brain's information processing) is an evolutionary emergence from the workings of abstract Information (the power to enform). In this application, Information is more like Energy than Awareness. And it's a substance only in the sense of Spinoza's Universal Substance, which he equated with God. In that case, God creates Reality from immaterial mind-stuff. Which is not necessarily aware of anything, but has the creative potential to actualize real things from ideal concepts (Plato's Forms).

I don't expect this BS to make sense to you, because it is based on the unconventional worldview of Enformationism. So, I'm just using this opportunity to apply that theory to your question.

Well, I was thinking about something like that pool of potentiality, something that is not, but could be - it is just waiting for some mind to see it and make it real...Eremit
    As an extension of my Enformationism thesis, I envision the creation of our Reality metaphorically in Plato's terms : eternal unformed Chaos (infinite Potential) was enformed by Logos into a temporal Cosmos (finite Actuality). The "mind" that converts potential into actual is the hypothetical Mind of G*D. :nerd:

Chaos : Unformed Randomess
    In ancient Greek creation myths Chaos was the void state preceding the creation of the universe or cosmos. It literally means "emptiness", but can also refer to a random undefined unformed state that was changed into the orderly law-defined enformed Cosmos. In modern Cosmology, Chaos can represent the eternal/infinite state from which the Big Bang created space/time. In that sense of infinite Potential, it is an attribute of G*D, whose power of EnFormAction converts possibilities (Platonic Forms) into actualities (physical things).
    http://blog-glossary.enformationism.info/page12.html

Cosmos : Order, harmony, beauty, well-formed
    Universe means "all existing matter and space considered as a whole; the cosmos." The words can be used as synonym of each other, or you can use cosmos when you are referring to the well-ordered aspect of the universe.
    https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/20734/whats-the-difference-between-the-universe-and-the-cosmos

Unconscious.jpg
  • 180 Proof
    Against the intractable, the inevitable, the inexorable; against fate itself ...tim wood
    "A principle of courage ..."

... (& point of honor): It's Always Better To Know That We Don't Know Than To Not Know That We Don't Know And Yet Believe We Do.180 Proof
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.