• Gregory

How can a sphere be unbounded?
  • jgill
    How can a sphere be unbounded?Gregory

Riemann sphere
  • Gregory

That's an even better example of dialectic than Zeno's paradox. Some thing can have edges but be unbounded. My conclusion is that the law of explosion is wrong.
  • magritte
    We have heard the philosophy that everything flows [eg, Heraclitus]. But, when 'this' becomes 'that,' it traverses something in between, such as when the color yellow becomes red it traverses orangeSaugB

Everything flows sounds like a metaphor for denying stasis in a dynamic world. All is change would probably be a more useful modern catch phrase. Change encompasses movement and avoids being tied to a continuous model of the world.

In what you say, the colors are fixed point objects with names. There is really no logical way to go from yellow to orange to red. If you go with physical wavelengths instead, then you can move up and down well beyond what can be seen and the color labels become obviously arbitrary.
  • prothero
    The world is a continuous creative becoming.
    It is static being that is an illusion.
    Objects are merely repetitive patterns or events. Change (process) is the essential nature of reality.
  • Gregory
    It seems to me that flux is tied to the continuous and the discrete is static
  • prothero
    Name one thing that on close examination is "static being"?
  • Gregory

The only thing that is completely discrete: nothingness
  • prothero
    I do not believe in the "reality" or "realness" of "nothingness" whatever that could mean.
  • Gregory

It's what the universe resides in and from which it comes. You don't believe anything is discrete?
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet