• deletedmemberal
    I would like to start by presenting my definition of fame. Fame is the condition in which strangers recognize your work or even your personality. As for how many people need to recognize you before you can be considered famous, I have no clue on what should the benchmark be. That is precisely one of the first issues I see with fame. Under what circumstances are you truly famous?
    I have prepared a couple hypotheses that could explain fame:
    1. Other famous individuals start interacting with you. Fame may very well be built and supported by a network of famous individuals. I support this hypothesis by stating that, since we can create realities, this conception does not seem to be exaggerated. Yet, this begs for the question: how was fame firstly created?
    2. Fame is proportional to the size of the audience. Nobel prize winners are virtually unknown to the average individual, but are very well known by the Academia. Everyone listens to music, but not everyone reads about the producer theory for example. A question here is pertinent: How do you decide which famous individual is more famous and more important?
    Aside from bringing recognizion to the individual, fame seems to enforce a role of leadership to those who have it. This is extremely dangerous. Not everyone is cut out to be a leader, no matter how famous you are. You may very well lead your followers to their demise. Why is it that fame burdens the individual with unwanted and unseeked responsabilities? Are fame and responsability two pieces of the same element, or can one be famous without the responsability?
  • mortenwittgenstein

The language type you present us with here is passionate which is cool. But I'm unsure how to categorize it. It seems too straight-forward. You miss something, I'm afraid. As you may know my interests these days are limited to four language types. Could you please make some statement that are either boring, wimpish/bizarre, full of yourself or surrealistic within the subject of fame? Let's laugh a bit! Let me try...

1. Boring language

"Are you familiar with The Sword of Damocles myth?"

2. Bizarre, wimpish language

"Famous people have too much power over their tone in this global village of ours. In some sense people of fame are stuck with their tone. Interesting!"

3. Full of himself-language

"We humans seek and deserve recognition, not fame. We humans seek and derserve a welfare society, not a lot of money in our bank accounts."

4. Surrealistic language

"Personality is everything." (Charlie Chaplin)

There's certainly something nice about watching a Brad Pitt movie because his personality is so big. Also, this sentence presents us with memorable language because it points to a surrealistic fact:

Aside from bringing recognizion to the individual, fame seems to enforce a role of leadership to those who have it.Alejandro

This post is a preliminary investigation. I'm not sure it'll ever end. We must act and talk as philosophical authorities but we must limit ourselves to those four language types because they are manageable and entertaining. We must be disciplined. So far we have not produced much memorable language, Alejandro.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.