• Stephany Rolim
    Hello dear friends. I am writing my master's dissertation about the concept of thrownness in Martin Heidegger, as this concept prove to be able to explain the feeling of being abandoned that I want to link with law theory, although I am facing trouble about the whole history that envolves Heidegger and the nazi tragedy in Germany.

Therefore, I would like to get to know the opinions of other fellows about that. Would the past of Heidegger as being envolved in the nazi movement in Germany be something harmthull to his contribution? I am trying to find other philosopher that talks about the concept of the human being as an instrument of itself, so if you have any sugestions about some other philosopher I would very much apreciate it.
  • Gregory
    Heidegger talked of not following the "they". For the Nazis, the they became the world. Heidegger knew a struggling culture that obviously went the wrong way in the end
  • Ciceronianus

If you're writing a thesis in philosophy, I don't think you need have any concern about the fact that Heidegger was an unapologetic Nazi and a virulent anti-Semite, among other unpleasant things. In that rarefied realm such foibles are deemed insignificant.
  • Ciceronianus

Did he? A pity he never apologized for what he was, and what he did.
  • Stephany Rolim
    Thank you all for the comments. I appreciate it!
  • tim wood
    Divide and conquer. Heidegger-the-man a separate section or appendix, issues concerning which, if they're of any ultimate concern - which you may then argue - left to that section, leaving all else that may well be more properly your concern, and topic.

Arguments to the man, tu quoque, are not always fallacious. But they can be a mistake if the man is not the target. Yours is a text and its meaning and significance - and what you want to make of it. The man is incidental and peripheral to that.
  • Ciceronianus
    Yours is a text and its meaning and significance - and what you want to make of it. The man is incidental and peripheral to that.tim wood

"'Once the rockets go up, who cares where they come down? That's not my department' says Wernher von Braun." --Tom Lehrer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment