• Hippyhead
    So death, as a void of all living qualities must neither be a particularly bad or good experience. It's likely not even an experience at all. In this sense death is akin to a "dreamless sleep" which most would argue is a relatively fine and comfortable state of being.Benj96

Given that we don't have proof of a single human being ever having visited death and returned to file a report, all theories about death seem best greeted with a sense of humor.
  • Philosophim
    To Benj96 and Tim Wood. Let me clarify what I mean by "fear death". It does not mean crippling terror or despair. Go to the roof of the tallest sky scraper you can think of, walk up to the edge, look down, and tell me you do not have some fear.

When you are driving along the road, a car careens in front of you, you instantly mash the brake and wonder if you were in time to stop what could be a fatal crash. If you walk in the woods and a large viscious and angry bear charges at you, you will feel fear. That is all fear of death.

If you had no fear for your own safety at all, you would likely not survive very long. Also, this is not to be confused with deciding to act on that fear or not. You can still fear something, and act against it.
  • Benj96
    I will discuss with those who have a modicum of manners and who actually try to have some eloquence in their intellect.Asif

Tell that to Diogenes :D haha
  • Asif
    @Benj96 That old cynic is dead. :cool:
  • tim wood
    When you are driving along the road, a car careens in front of you, you instantly mash the brake and wonder if you were in time to stop what could be a fatal crash. If you walk in the woods and a large viscious and angry bear charges at you, you will feel fear. That is all fear of death.Philosophim

No. I've been there. Fear of dying, of pain, of harm, of all of that. Not fear of death.
  • avalon
    I agree that death is a non-experience. Fear of death while "irrational" is easily understood. As biological beings, we seek to preserve our lives for as long as we can. Beyond this, in common language, fear of death also refers to the fear of dying, and as that process still exists within the realm of experience, it cannot be seen as irrational.
  • Augustusea
    wrong place sorry
  • Augustusea
    death is always regarded as bad generally, even though its a natural stage of life, for me I think its because of the wille zum leben, the irrational metaphysical will to stay alive found in each organism, and its not because of the fear of uncertainty, the fear of the unknown, there are a lot we do not know but do not fear either, and even regardless of that, death, holds no value really, it is as valuable as a birthday, why do we need to celebrate birthdays but cry at deaths? I think that its an irrational fear that presents itself, its a selfish fear and not one for the dead person, for they are dead, but for us losing them, which if you regard selfishness as immoral could put mourning death under so category
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.