• apokrisis
    I see it as many people all feeling the same elephant. So they create different jargon, different metaphors. But they are trying to get at the same thing in the end.

Vygotsky was the one that really had an impact on me and made everything click into place.

Social constructionism also took off in the 1980s with Rom Harre’s group, working on the social construction of emotions, being important.

Is social psychology your thing? I confess I’m not up to date on who’s who these days.
  • Pantagruel
    I'd say I'm more of an omnivore. I try to identify the gaps in my knowledge, and systematically fill them in while intuitively following theoretical directions from areas where I'm already conversant. Last year I studied Systems Theory extensively. That included some socio-psychological applications. I decided I had a gap there, so I dove into socioeconomics: Mead, Habermas, Weber, Marx. I'm halfway through the last volume of Capital. Did a bit of a detour to read Popper's three volume Postscript to the Logic of Scientific Discovery. That was a real eye-opener and something I'd hugely recommend to anyone.

Once I finish Parsons and Marx I'm moving into more socio-political stuff and linguistics. More Habermas, Dewey, Cassirer, Saussure. Ideally I'd like to consolidate my understanding in some kind of practical political way. I think the world is ripe for better ideas and reform.
  • Marax
    juxtaposing object and subject leads to incoherence.Banno

I perceive this is a prejudice. Understanding is not conceived without prior evaluation.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.