• 180 Proof
    Not a curse. Accursed, perhaps.Ciceronianus the White
    “I despise the kind of book which tells you how to live, how to make yourself happy. Philosophers have no good news for you at this level. I believe the first duty of philosophy is making you understand what deep shit you are in!”
    ~Slavoj Žižek

Not sure if a sorta-Stoic like you gets as much of a kick outta Žižek as sorta-Epicureans like me usually do. "The first duty", perhaps; certainly not the only one or the last ...

:death: :flower:
  • John Onestrand

From childhood to year 19 all I asked was "how?"; I was only interested in the natural sciences. Then I met a person, he called himself an existentialist.
    From that day I was cursed by "why?".

After 33 years of looking for answers, God, enlightenment, it suddenly ended. This should not peak your interest since I don't know how. I know it preceded by a few intense days of thoughts like "there's nothing I can do, thinking cannot solve the problem, whatever I do just aggrevates the problem, there's absolutely nothing I can do to solve this".

Then on June 24 2020 it was gone. I wrote "The End of the Search!" in my diary.

The search is still gone and philosophical thinking and ideas are a minor side interest today.

I feel kind of empty but in a neutral way, sort of vacant but mentally very alert. It's only been less than two month so I'll probably find a way back to the curse of "WHY?!".
  • Ciceronianus
    Not sure if a sorta-Stoic like you gets as much of a kick outta Žižek as sorta-Epicureans like me usually do. "The first duty", perhaps; certainly not the only one or the last ...180 Proof

It's not clear to me that philosophy is needed for us to understand that we're in deep shit. And, if we don't already know that, I doubt it will be philosophy that persuades us that we are. It may help us understand why we are, though. But in order to do that, I think we have to consider what's wrong with how we live, which ultimately involves determining how we should live.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.