• deletedmemberal
    There has been quite a lot of talk about privilege for some time now and what should be done with it. It has been argued that it should be dismantled so everyone can get the same chances at life. Some have gone as far as denouncing it, citing that the idea of privilege only exists for the white, straight, male. I believe that is important to consider every point of view when talking about this reccuring issue.

Firstly, I firmly oppose the idea that of those who have it, for any reason really, should let go of it. The reason for this is that I see privilege as a truly powerful tool that may very well change the tide when it is harnessed in a way that can create a positive impact. Take, for example, a 100 meter race, in which the first one who crosses the line gets $100. Initially, everyone is standing on the same starting line, however, just before the race starts, those who have privilege (money, race, gender, etc...) get a head start. We have then created our first gap for no apparent reason other than privilege. We are not discussing how was the privilege acquired, some just have it. Now, this is one of the sources of much discussion. If someone gets a head start based on something they had nothing to do with, I would reasonably cry injustice.
    Now, consider this. Those who get the headstart may very well be slow and lose against their opponents. It is true that they still have an advantage, but this does not determine the winner. Everyone wants to win the $100, and some may have to run less. But we have not determined who the fastest runners are. For all we know, the individuals standing on the same, unprivileged starting line, may be faster and thus, win. This is where I inject my question: What if me, a privileged and slow individual, trade $50 with anyone that teaches me how to run faster and win? I still have my privilege, I am not renouncing it, but now I am using it as a tool from which someone else may benefit.

The other 2 ways that I can see this issue being solved is to renounce privilege (in which we all stand on the same line and may the best win the $100) or to let the other groups have the privilege.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.