• val p miranda
    Nothing refers to lack of mass and its derivates; there are other existents which invalidates "nothing is impossible" arguments, etc.
  • Garth
    I will side with Plato in this debate. There is something rather than nothing because of the Idea of The Good. It is best that there be something. In particular, it is better for good to exist than for it to not exist.
  • Edy
    Creationists don't need to ask this question. Faith is built on knowing the answer.

If you ask, how does gravity work, we can use science to find the answer. But if you ask, why does gravity work, then you find yourself in the same predicament. The same is true for any question at the core of science.
  • Mikie

Let’s first define “thing”. To reformulate: why are there beings at so instead of nothing? Leibniz asked this question as well.

The best analysis I have found is Heidegger’s introduction to metaphysics.

“Whereon is every answer to the question of beings based? That is, wherein does the unconcealment of being originate?

To say it with an example: the Greek interpret being as “presence” of the present. “Presence” indicates time.”
  • Gus Lamarch
    "why is there something rather than nothing"Wheatley

Nothing craves everything.
  • val p miranda
    For the answer, the question should be reformulated as follows: either nothing or something exists. Since nothing does not exist, something must exist.
  • Constance
    The old-age metaphysical question: Why is there anything at all?

We first need to know how to approach such a question. Here is a list of possibilities:

Humor: Why is there something rather than nothing? *shrug if off with a joke*
    Pragmatic: Why is there something rather than nothing? Does it matter?
    Philosophical: Why is there something rather than nothing? [Insert a philosophical viewpoint here]
    Scientific: Why is there something rather than nothing? [Instert a scientific theory here]
    Bewilderment: Why is there something rather than nothing? No idea.

Once you've decided on the best approach to tackle such a question, perhaps you might want to provide your insights into this discussion.
    How do you approach the "why is there something rather than nothing" question?
    With humorWith practicalityWith philosophyWith scienceWith bewildermentNone of the above; other
    Wheatley

Begs the question: Something? Nothing?
  • Edy

Nothing does exist. You are 99% nothing. Everything you've ever seen or touched is mostly nothing also. The atoms that make up all matter are mostly empty space, at any given moment.

There is no need, or reason for the Big Bang. To find the answer to the OP, you need to know, how did a ball of atoms manifest in an empty void.
  • val p miranda
    Nothing exists in one's mind.
  • val p miranda
    And this mental nothing is made of mass; therefore, nothing is something
  • Present awareness
    Opposites produce each other. In order to have big, we need small to compare it to. In order to have stars and galaxies we need the vacuum of empty space for them to exist in.

Where did we personally reside for the past 13.7 billion years, since the time of the Big Bang, to suddenly find ourselves living on Earth? When the Sun dies, several billions of years into the future, the earth and all life on it will be consumed. Since no one gets out of life alive anyway, it doesn’t really matter how long we are here before we die. In the end, it will be like it was before we arrived and so another 13 billion years may go by without even noticing.
  • Tom Storm
    There is no example we can point to of nothing existing except as metaphor.
  • val p miranda
    One reliable principle is from nothing comes nothing. Why something was necessary can be viewed as follows: in the beginning either there was nothing or something. Since nothing does not exist, there was something and that is why the universe exists.
  • Pantagruel
    The old-age metaphysical question: Why is there anything at all?Wheatley

This is the central theme of Heidegger's Introduction to Metaphysics :"Why are there beings at all instead of nothing" (p. 215)

What he does is essentially recast and reconceptualize the understanding of the nature of Being in a way that encompasses the concept of nothing. One of his most interesting conclusions is:
    The concept of being that has been accepted up to now does not suffice to name everything that "is". (p. 218)

I recommend this, it's a good read, extremely dense but fairly short. As the "successor to Being and Time" alone it is worth consideration.
  • Agent Smith
    Panta rhei (everything flows)/Change is the only constant. — Heraclitus

Suppose there is nothing. It hasta change. The only thing nothing can change into is something. Hence, there is something rather than nothing. It's a cycle though and the something we experience now will become nothing at a future date and then that nothing will again become something, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. Creatio ex nihilo.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    The old-age metaphysical question: Why is there anything at all?Wheatley

Words have the power to do what a mind has no power to do.

So we continue to contrive formulations like the above. These words appear to present a question but in fact only express a wordless awe or astonishment.

There is no question here.
  • Cuthbert
    These words appear to present a question but in fact only express a wordless awe or astonishmentZzzoneiroCosm

Yes. Or a cry of anguish. Morgenbesser's reply was "Ach, even if there were nothing, you would still be complaining."
  • Olivier5
    Morgenbesser's reply was "Ach, even if there were nothing, you would still be complaining."Cuthbert

And I believe that's the best possible answer to that question.
  • Relativist
    Why is there anything at all?Wheatley
    It's a loaded question: it assumes there is a reason.

Why should we expect there to be a reason?
  • Jackson

Yes, why should we expect there to be a universe. There just is.
  • Relativist
    The question is usually asked by Theists, who have a ready explanation for the universe - but have no good explanation for why there is a God.
  • Jackson
    The question is usually asked by Theists, who have a ready explanation for the universe - but have no good explanation for why there is a God.Relativist

Leibniz asked why is there something, then argues because God.
  • Relativist
    He was articulating Christian doctrine that everything is dependent upon God for its existence.
  • Varde
    Why is there a thing rather than another thing(I.e. nothing)?

1 probably always existed, there's probably proof of it(I'll have a sense of the matter).

If there was ever nothing, nothing logical could ever come from it.

If there was a young something, then progress is possible through maturing.

Imagine a blank space that suddenly deforms because of an addition. Thus may sound bizzare but blank space and addition is the most basic I can think of...

An analogous repetition: sperm(energy) meeting the egg(blank space).

Definitely not nothing though.

I imagine what comes first is, at least, 1D.
  • val p miranda
    Why there is something rather than nothing is as follows: either something exists or nothing exists; since NOTHING DOES NOT EXIST, something must exist. That existent is immaterial space in the pre-universe.
  • Agent Smith

Things can cease to exist, the do regularly (death, destruction). Furthermore, as per science, in around a 10100 years, the last atom will decay. What would be left? Isn't that nothing?
  • val p miranda
    If I have a dime and lose it, do I have nothing? no, I no longer have a dime. What will be left is the abscene of the last atom. We tend to call the abscence or end nothing. To us such ceasings may be called nothing. Let me repeat: nothing is a concept, the reality of which has no existence. There are other such concepts with no existence: infinity, time, etc.
  • Agent Smith
    If I have a dime and lose it, do I have nothing? no, I no longer have a dime. What will be left is the abscene of the last atom. We tend to call the abscence or end nothing. To us such ceasings may be called nothing. Let me repeat: nothing is a concept, the reality of which has no existence. There are other such concepts with no existence: infinity, time, etc.val p miranda

It seems to me that it's easier to grasp specific nothing (2 apples - 2 apples = 0 apples) than general nothing (absence of anything and everything).
  • val p miranda
    I will have to consider general nothing. Nothing is such an engrained part of our life, like time. Do you think that nothing (general or specific) could ever be located? It could--in the mind of humans.
  • 180 Proof
    Isn't that nothing?Agent Smith
    "Why is there anything at all?" Because nothing prevents anything from coming-to-be. :smirk: .
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.