• anonymous66
    What do you make of the way that Socrates treated his wife and children?
    I've looked at it from various angles. When I first read about Socrates, my thought was, "Why didn't he get a job and do a better job of supporting his family". Then I read about his belief that he was on a divinely inspired mission.

The Stoics used Socrates as an example of someone who never got angry (The Stoics believed that anger was one of the passions, and always harmful). They mentioned that Xanthippe even trampled his food and poured water on his head, but Socrates always kept his cool. I was recently asked, "but why was she angry with him?" The stories about Socrates suggest that Xanthippe had a reputation for being shrewish, and that he married her because he wanted his equanimity to be put to the test.
  • Cavacava
    I have also read this but I think that family life back in that day must have been a lot different then family life now. Being ready to go into battle was important for many of these cities, and it was expected that the men teach the young boys from an early age how to fight. Women in Athenian (unlike Spartan society where they could hold property) were 2nd rate, with care of the homestead as their major role.

Athens must have been lawsuit crazy. Besides Socrates, Protagoras was exiled and if Socrates had wanted he probably would have been exiled or fined. He did not bring his wife or children to his trial, which was unusual. typically the wife and family are brought forth to plead for the defendant. Plato's works were carefully crafted narratives that did not openly criticize Athens. Aristotle took off to Macedonia when he thought the town was going to come down on him.

I also get the feeling that the city had its favorites, like Aristophanes. He criticized Cleon, a rough but successful general & ruler of Athens. Cleon sued Aristophanes for slander but Cleon never obtained a judgement against Aristophanes, who keep him as the brunt of his jokes even after Cleon had passed away.
  • anonymous66
    @Cavacava Thank you for those thoughts...
    I think if I were to know someone who acted like Socrates today, I'd probably think of him as either a slacker and/or a nut. "I'm on a divine mission" does sound rather odd.... especially seeing that he never had much money.

But, I do see a common thread in ancient philosophy. It's "philosophy/living the good/virtuous life is most important". Everything else is secondary. And for Socrates (and the Stoics), it's also very important to listen to your Daimon.

I'd have to say that I have a great deal of respect for Socrates (as described by Plato), because he lived out what he believed and he stuck to his convictions, even though it cost him dearly.
  • Banno
    "I'm on a divine mission" does sound rather odd.... especially seeing that he never had much money.anonymous66

I'm puzzled by this. Would it be less odd for him to think he was on a divine mission if he were rich?
  • anonymous66
    It's more about providing for his family. It would be less odd if he was a good provider.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.