• Gregory
    Maybe I have a high IQ. I think I am very smart so you probably think the study in question is proof enough I don't have a high IQ. Maybe the study only shows that people who don't think they are smart score high on the IQ test. I am willing to bet though that most people who score high on it think they are smart and I am more than certain that they people who invented the test thought they were smart. So you have a Godelian problem even here as well
  • InPitzotl
    See the WIki article.Banno
    Oh I'm not so interested in the actual Napoleon Hill, as I am in the epistemic standard being employed (though I would like to imagine Napoleon Hill playing a nice game of chess against DrDrunkenstein).
  • Gregory
    Were they scientific, though? You know, as opposed to those unscientific Dunning-Kruger studies?InPitzotl

There is no such thing as a "scientific" psychological study. There are way too many factors for that. The establishment says all the time "that's just anecdotal" about an herb or something. Of course what people tell people in white coats in a laboratory is also anecdotal. There is way too much dogmatism over this stuff. All you can do is accept your observations and run with them. It's you guys who are making this stuff into dogma
  • InPitzotl
    There is no such thing as a "scientific" psychological study.Gregory
    If scientific is the standard and this is the rationale, I would think you should be skeptical of both Napoleon Hill's and Dunning-and-Kruger's studies. So I'm particularly interested in the fact that you're only skeptical of the latter.
  • tim wood
    Anyway, some interpret Godel to have proven that you can't avoid contradictions in mathGregory

No. That's not what he did. He exhibited a proposition in arithmetic that is not provable, and, that its negation is also not provable.
  • TheMadFool
    at the most abstract level standard math maps out the impossible.Gregory

I'm curious to know how.

The more math you know the less math you know,in a way. 2+2 equals anything but four.Gregory

In what sense do you make that assertion? Clearly, from a certain angle it's a contradiction but you probably have something else in mind.
  • Streetlight
    This thread does not meet the quality standards of the forum.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.