• Shawn
    Hello,

I would like to portray the following issue with an analogy of a book. I tend to think of books as a form of thought preservation in as chronological and landscaped manner as possible. I like to read books of authors whom don't necessarily mention too many references; but, try and create a story based on their references mentioned. Such authors are not many. They tend to have a hard time conceptualizing the concepts of aforementioned books or scientific articles mentioned in the reference page.

One particular author that stands out as the quintessential souvenir book or books are physics authors along with a very specific author I have in mind. The author I am pointing towards is Hofstadter, who wrote Godel, Escher, Bach. For some very strange reason this book has no guide in it, and the reference page in entirely self-referential. If possible, I would like to ask other members what they think about this book along with any other book similar in manner.

Now, I somewhat deviated from the point of this thread, and to get back to the trail, I would like to mention that many books are souvenirs for people in terms of memory landscapes. This is somewhat a metaphysical term; but, there seems to be no real word for describing the process of putting down thoughts onto some medium of recording. As there always seems to be a profound time-gap between the very memories, then thoughts, and eventually, the very process of putting them down on said medium.

Now, the quote I would like to mention in a rambling manner, is associated with a specific song, which I won't bother to mention; but, describes this "rating" effect of prominent memories, which are very new territory to me. The brain seems to describe memories in an order of importance based on their emotional impact on one's life. For example, near "death" experiences are associated so strongly with memory formation and further development that people will nearly never forget about their import on their own existence. It is bewildering to me, that the brain compartmentalizes the import of some memories to stand out over and above the decadence ordering of other memories.

A new concept I would like to introduce is one of decadence decay. Sorry, but, I would like to bring up as a small mention the idea of a recording on top of a recording, that are often dreams and memories themselves. In terms of the very thought process of ordering memories, it seems imperative that memories be encoded in a manner where the top layer recording is scanned for content that is important in terms of an unknown unconscious factor to the mind. Now, decadence decay, seems to be a process whereby a memory is maintained or dampened or even forgotten in a minimal manner, and in a cohesive manner associated with other memories of the mind.

That's about it for the moment being. Any souvenirs anyone else would like to share about memories or their very own memories?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.