• Banno
    They'll be able to show you what a conscious person looks like. To answer you question...

what dose consciousness look like?Pop

But it won't work with rocks. That's my point.
  • Wheatley
    There's no possible experiment you can do to show that a rock is conscious. Panpsychism is complete speculation.
  • Pop
    The obvious answer to the OP is that we are part of the fabric of the universe!

So what is most conscious in the universe?

edit: Is a rock a part of the universe?
  • Banno
    speculationWheatley

yes... speculation...
  • Wheatley
    speculationBanno
    I'm sure you can think of a better word.
  • Wheatley
    Is 'conjecture' any better?
  • Wheatley
    a) Panpsychism is wild guesswork.

b) Panpsychism is wild speculation.

c) Panpsychism is a wild conjecture.

d) Panpsychism is wildly misguided.

e) Not wild.

f) None of the above.

g) Fuck this assignment.

Which answer is most correct?
  • Banno
    "...misguided."
  • Eugen
    As to the possibility of consciousness beyond human level consciousness, there doesn't seem to be a legitimate domain, apart from the inner and outer worlds, to expand awareness into. However, some may be of the opinion that advancing toward, what some claim, the true nature of reality which will probably include perfect understanding of the outer and inner worlds, qualifies as progressing through different levels of consciousness.TheMadFool

Your argument makes sense and I admit I haven't thought about this so far. Thank you!

If we knew we could tell if a rock is conscious!Pop

I think this is a trap! I think panpsychism sees a rock as a non-consciouss entity, but rather a physical object made of many elementary entities, each one containing consciousness properties. But the material that makes a rock doesn't have ''conductivity'' properties, so the consciousness of each elementary pparticle does not connect with other in order to form something bigger in that sense,
  • Eugen
    Panpsychism is complete speculation.Wheatley

Yes, but that doesn't mean it has no potential to reveal truths.
  • Wheatley
    Yes, but that doesn't mean it has no potential to reveal truths.Eugen
    What 'truths' do you want to be revealed?
  • Eugen
    For example if consciousness is fundamental.
  • Wheatley
    For example if consciousness is fundamental.Eugen
    Until they come up with a viable scientific experiment, nothing is going to be revealed by panpsychism. It's a pretty much useless theory as it stands.
  • Eugen
    Until they come up with a viable scientific experiment, nothing is going to be revealed by panpsychism. It's a pretty much useless theory as it stands.Wheatley

I don't see it like this. Yes, it is just a theory and it does not claim it is more than that. Even if it has no empirocal evidence yet, it has a strong logic behind.
  • Wheatley
    I don't see it like this. Yes, it is just a theory and it does not claim it is more than that. Even if it has no empirocal evidence yet, it has a strong logic behind.Eugen
    Suppose it does have "strong" logic behind it, it doesn't make it any more useful than the theory of the luminiferous ether, or reincarnation for that matter.
  • Forgottenticket
    This is actually a good question. If we get a materialist account of consciousness then it stands to reason the bandwidth could be expanded and so you could have super-human consciousness
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.