• Agent Smith
    Philosophical topics in theology:

1. Metaphysics: Ontology of deities; (moral) Causation (jahanam/jannat, karma); necessity/possibility (of deities; primum movens); identity/change (anicca); spacetime (timelessness, omnipresence).

2. Epistemology: Revelation (lumen fidei)

3. Ethics: The meat & potatoes of religion (God as a policeman, judge, executioner)

4. Logic: Lumen fidei & lumen gratiae as opposed to lumen naturalis rationis.

5. Aesthetics: I have yet to see a painting of an ugly god although Hephaestus (the divine blacksmith) was lame.

:smile:
  • Nickolasgaspar

-"Philosophical topics in theology:"
    -I find that to be an oxymoron. Theology isn't based on verified knowledge claims so any conclusions can never be wise thus part of a philosophical discussion.
    Theology can only be part of Social Sciences discussions analyzing the impact of those ideas on population and their institutions.
  • Banno
    Theology isn't based on verified knowledge claimsNickolasgaspar

Neither is verificationism.
  • Nickolasgaspar
    I never made that claim. I am only pointing out that Theology can never produce meaningful philosophy.
  • Agent Smith
    Yep, you have a point, but look at it from the persepective of topics instead of methodology.
  • Nickolasgaspar
    changing our perspective on theology could never render it part of a true philosophical inquiry. What defines a philosophical inquire is wisdom and no one has ever become wiser about the the world by studying theology. On the contrary....
  • Agent Smith
    changing our perspective on theology could never render it part of a true philosophical inquiry. What defines a philosophical inquire is wisdom and no one has ever become wiser about the the world by studying theology. On the contrary....Nickolasgaspar

There I think you're mistaken, but to be fair to you theology can be quite antiphilosophical.
  • Nickolasgaspar
    I am not. This is why Major Universities study Theology within the Discipline of Anthropology, as a way to study human behavior, beliefs and their impact on our societies.
    Theology is not based on Credible Epistemology and it can not deliver wise claims about our world or expand our understanding of it..so by definition it can not be Philosophy. Can you see the problem their. Its in direct conflict with the Definition of the term "Philosophy" and its goals.
  • Agent Smith
    You have a point of course - atheism is more phikosophical than theism.
  • Nickolasgaspar
    Well atheism on its own is just a position on a supernatural claim.But you are right Atheism is the conclusion of a long philosophical inquiry (for centuries). Philosophy gave us Atheism while Superstition gave us Theism and Theologia is our attempt to justify this superstition.
  • Agent Smith
    So, we're on the same page, mon ami?
  • Agent Smith
    so I am not mistaken?Nickolasgaspar

No, good job!
1678910Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.