• Lower Case NUMBERS
    Wikipedia :
    "English is a West Germanic language that originated from Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain in the 5th to 7th centuries AD by Germanic invaders and settlers from what is now northwest Germany, west Denmark and the Netherlands.
    A significant influence on the shaping of Middle English came from contact with the North Germanic languages spoken by the Scandinavians who conquered and colonised parts of Britain during the 8th and 9th centuries; this contact led to much lexical borrowing and grammatical simplification."
    "Another important influence came from the conquering Normans, who spoke a form of French called Old Norman, which in Britain developed into Anglo-Norman. "
    "Who yo baby daddy?"
  • Baden

This I know. I suspect though your frustration stems not from a deficiency in our (presumably) common tongue (a whit of knowledge of linguistics would inform you that none of what you have copy-pasted above suggests one) but your own limitations in using it.
  • BC
    That may be so, but after having gone through the results of a Google search, most of the results affirm that "misspelt" is the preference, or more appropriate, or more usual, in the UK, where it originates. It is also my preference; it just sounds better and more natural and appropriate to me.Sapientia

Writing out "spelt" in American English would be unusual, but I think "spelled" pronounced as "spelt" is more common.
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    "This I know. I suspect..."
    This seems heavily paradoxical philosophically. Either you "know" or you "suspect". Which is it?
  • BC
    The promiscuous nature of English is its strength. It can absorb and naturalize words from all over the globe without losing it's soul. It can put catsup on sushi, sugar on succotash, or sesame seed on salad and be perfectly appropriate.
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    When you speak of "limitations" concerning a limited language then you weaken your own argument and your insults.
  • Baden

The "This" in the "This I know" bit referred to the information you copy-pasted above about the origins of English. The "suspect" in the second sentence referred to your reasons for using the pejorative "bastard" about English. In other words, I know about the origins of English, but I can't be sure of the reasons for your expressed dislike of it.
  • Baden

Do I have to quote Wikipedia to you to make you understand that English is no more a "limited" language than any other? In fact lexically, its multiple origins make it comparatively rich (as Bitter Crank mentioned).
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    I understand NOW. You should have written your response with a little more clarification; obviously it was insufficient in conveying context.
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    "its multiple origins make it comparatively rich."

Like I said.....a bastard.
  • Baden

A rich bastard then. Glad we're all agreed on everything my good man (or lady) and we can part company mutually enlightened by our brief encounter. :-*
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    Brief but enjoyable and I look forward to the next jab countered by a linquistical knockout.

"my good man (or lady)"

You can call me "sir" to compliment by masculinity. What shall I call you?
  • Baden
    Brief but enjoyable and I look forward to the next jab countered by a linquistical knockout. You can call me "sir" to compliment by masculinity.Lower Case NUMBERS

You are indeed a master of linquistics, sir.

What shall I call you?Lower Case NUMBERS

Anything but a bastard.

Good day to you!
  • Lower Case NUMBERS

"Anything but a bastard"

Well thank you-that leaves me with an almost infinite choice of words. Allow me to browse but I must be perfectly honest. There are only a "limited"
    range of words that I feel would do you justice.
  • 0 thru 9
    About the "like button" thingy discussion...

I have seen some forums (fora? :B ) where there was the ability to "thank" a person for their post. Also, there was an indication of how many times a person "was thanked", and how many times they "thanked" someone else. I thought that is good way to go. But i know that the moderators can only make suggestions to the developers of this forum. But i really enjoy the format, appearance, and usability of this forum. Very enjoyable. Love the auto-save feature when writing posts, which prevents much aggravation when a long draft is lost. (L)
  • 0 thru 9

Lol! Thanks. Humor is the social lubricant. And who doesn't enjoy a good lubricant now and then? :D
  • S
    I understand NOW. You should have written your response with a little more clarification; obviously it was insufficient in conveying context.Lower Case NUMBERS

I easily understood it the first time I read it, so perhaps the insufficiency lies elsewhere.
  • Lower Case NUMBERS

"I easily understood it the first time I read it, so perhaps the insufficiency lies elsewhere."

Did you now? Glad you chimed in to help save your friend but your come-back was "insufficient", transparent in motive and lacking in any poetic juice.. Try again.
  • S
    Did you now? Glad you chimed in to help save your friend but your come-back was "insufficient" and lacked any poetic juice.. Try again.Lower Case NUMBERS

Okay.

How about this:

I understood it
    so the insufficiency
    maybe lies elsewhere.

Or this:

I easily understood it,
    but I chose not to declare.
    It's obvious enough,
    and not very tough,
    the failure lies elsewhere.

How's that for poetic juice?
  • BC
    I recognize your first poetic juice drip as haiku; is the second one in a particular form (other than abccb)?
  • S
    Nonstandard limerick?
  • BC
    Limericks are usually along the lines of

A bather whose clothing was strewed
    By winds that left her quite nude
    Saw a man come along
    And unless we are wrong
    You expected this line to be lewd.

Yours could be a limerick, but the rhythm needs to be tightened up. The 'beat' or emphasis doesn't fall on the words naturally and there aren't enough syllables in some of the lines.

CHANGE

I easily understood it,
    but I chose not to declare.
    It's obvious enough,
    and not very tough,
    the failure lies elsewhere.

TO

Twas easy to grasp the small thought,
    It's you whose thought comes to naught.
    It's quite clear enough
    that you're no word buff,
    and your grammar is not up to snuff.
  • Baden

Oh, Limericks. I cannot resist carrying on the baton.

Ne'er was a thought more easy to grasp
    'less your head be stuck up your ass
    I'm sure my dear sir
    You would duly concur
    If out you could pull it at last!
  • Hanover
    I wrote this one, which was consistent with the theme of this thread, but I wasn't entirely happy with it:

There once was a young mod named Baden
    Who never an argument he could win
    He would cry and would shout
    Would carry on all and about
    That we all ever thought him a maiden.

I then wrote this one, which is consistent with the theme that is Hanover, so I'm more happy with it:

There once was a young lad name Baden
    Who fought as he might to deny sin
    But try as he may
    He was simply born that way
    So he wished Hanover were a maiden

Regardless of the end result, I'm pretty happy with the Baden/Maiden rhyme I discovered during this mid-afternoon time waste.
  • BC
    This forum of dry philosophs
    pour their thoughts into a long trough
    Where concepts dement and grow moss.
    All sorts draw from these deep reserves:
    Hogs, scholars, some rebels, our pervs.
    Those who swill too much of our draughts
    Often sound like wits sliced in halfs.
  • BC
    Above a Georgia attorney
    a drone armed with chili con carne
    took aim at a maiden’s target.
    A command was sent from HQ
    and the gut bomb landed so true.
    But this was not final ending,
    for no drones were now forfending.
  • Wosret
    I saw many likes on your post
    A cultured and refined view you boast
    I'll say with my thumb
    That it's not that dumb
    But I still deserved the most!

All ya'll yapping above
    I got something I think you'll love
    With ma hand naked
    You know I don't fake it
    Across your face with my glove.
  • Baden

That's great, Hanover. Love it. If I could offer but a mild critique by way of Limerick:

A wannabe poet called Hano'
    Wished to go mano a mano
    But his verse fell flat
    As a runover cat
    Or an ant on which fell a piano!
  • Baden

Attorney / Chili con carne. Lol.
  • S
    Limericks are usually along the lines of...Bitter Crank

Yes, well mine's unusual
    I structured it that way knowingly
    The rhythm is fine
    In fact it's sublime
    I'll-use-as-many-or-as-few-syllables-as-I
    -damn-well-like, and don't tell me how to do poetry.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment