• Deletedmemberwap
    There have been various studies to suggest that avid practitioners of philosophy generally have higher IQ's than average. Sometimes considerably so.

While one might say this about any learned profession, e.g. science, art, languages etc., I find this particularly notable considering that philosophy often forces ones mind to think OUTSIDE regular barriers and constraints. Is the key to intelligence creativity, and thinking far outside the box?

Also, any other members of High IQ societies here?
  • Wheatley
    I have nothing against people boasting about their high IQ's, I'm just getting the impression that IQ is equated with having a good brain. I don't believe that is true, you can have an average IQ and still be very creative. And even if your brain isn't very healthy it doesn't devalue you as a human being.

That being said, I am not a member of any high IQ society nor do I think I would score very high on an IQ test. Keep looking though, I'm sure you will find really smart people somewhere on the internet. :razz:
  • Deletedmemberwap
    Why is having a high IQ immediately considered boasting? This is no different than being member of any other club. Being a musician, multi-linguisitic, gifted in math, or anything else.

There is nothing remotely boastful about my above post, although once IQ is mentioned I do note that insecurities tend arise in others, for whatever reason. I am merely asking who else here is a member, so that I may connect with them on said site / forum? It also suggests that studying philosophy is good for overall IQ, and thus the 2 are interlinked.

I would agree with you that intelligence is wildly multi-faceted and includes other areas, including EQ and other unmeasured things.
  • Wheatley
    Don't mind me an my insecurities. :wink:
  • Deletedmemberwap
    I would add that: you might be surprised! You mention that "you don't think you would score very high on an IQ test".

Neither did I.

Look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Where some of the smartest people actually think that they are not very clever, and the dumbest people believe they are an absolute GENIUS!
  • Wheatley
    I know about the Dunning-Kruger Effect. I've also had professors in college tell me that I'm very smart and got good grades. It's just when I'm put on the spot and asked to do a task I naturally get all stressed out and fail the task. I've also taken online IQ tests and struggled with them. I think I got tested for my IQ when I was a child and scored average (though I admit I put very little effort in that psychological evaluation). I don't want to take the IQ test now because getting an average score would send my anxiety through the roof.
  • Deletedmemberwap
    To be fair, Wheatley, it's one of those things: ie. when have you ever used this particular skill, etc.

I remember learning algebra and all kinds of fanciful things in school / uni etc. When have I used them in life? Never. IQ means nothing. It's just processing speed. Much like the CPU in a computer. It's the hard drive and other units that are actually most important. Slightly self-deprecating, but true. IQ societies are nothing but social clubs. And I am trying to find a place to belong... my weakness, if anything.

I have found that travelling the world has actually taught me more than school or tests ever did. Plato believed the same.
  • Wheatley
    That's comforting, thanks.

If you wanted to know who all the smart people on this site I can tell you. :lol:
  • Wheatley
    I pretty sure @shmik has a very high IQ (he hasn't been active for a year, though), I would also place a bet on @andrewk, perhaps even @SophistiCat.
  • Name Email Password Security
    Here is a test for you, astronomy, physics and spectroscopy. What do you think? I'm a student.

Dimensions just means different layers of things happening. The pattern of light and dark is just another pattern of vibration, when an electron spins around the proton or the nucleus, it’s not a set orbit where it will just be a perfect circle all around matter and produce this little cloud of whatever around the proton. No, it is going to expand or contract. So, the rate of expansion and collapse is actually oscillation, it’s a frequency set forth that actually identities that type of atom. When it shoots out light in a certain pattern, then now all you need to do is look at the color, that color is the frequency of that light. Science now figured that out, now they can figure out the chemical constituency of some planets or stars based on their light patterns, which is measuring light which is a type of frequency or a type of resonance or oscillation. When you understand the signature of that light, you can break it down into what % is this chemical, what % is that chemical. That is what known as spectroscopy. When you understand the spectroscopy, you’re basically looking for the light pattern, when you actually find the connection of what elements emits what light, you can find that pattern of the light within the spectrum of light that actually comes out, then you can figure out what it is made of and what is the universe made of. It is nothing more than oscillation, vibration and frequency as they stretch the light apart and then they see the spectrum of that light, then scientists see the dark bands and the different bands of light. Now they can classify things within the universe. Looking far away is no different than looking close by if you know what to look for. Because there is consistency within the patterns of the matter that is producing the light. There is no difference, you can look away to see that same pattern, now you know what it’s made of, it is the same looking close.

Every piece of matter has its own nature and its own oscillations of light and dark. It produces photons that shoot out at a certain rate, and you also have dark spots when it contracts. So, if it shoots out at a certain rate, if you understand certain atoms producing molecules, then they produce a certain light spectrum. Once you actually find that light spectrum from that type of molecule, you can look for the same pattern in the universe. If you find that pattern, you can know what that star or space or planet is made of what. Same is in the universe as it is on this planet. Only thing that is different is the properties given by that light and certain other quantum aspects based upon the size of the galaxy. Each galaxy has a different set of numbers for their size and what the physics would act like. The size of a galaxy also determines what their physics will be able to do. Each galaxy has a slightly different set of physics. If you understand that aspect of galactic physics, what that means is that every galaxy determines its own matter and the spin of its own light, based on its own size, so the physics will be slightly different. It will not be the same as ours, but you will have to see how that plays out.
  • Sir2u
    I've also taken online IQ tests and struggled with them.Wheatley

I did a few of those a few years ago. On one I got over 140, another gave me high 80's and everything in between.

Maybe the people that made them were not high IQ.
  • Maw
    I'm so smart I invented a high IQ society (Mensa), and tell people how smart they are so they join and pay me a monthly fee.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.