• TheMadFool
    For me, a device of extraordinary ingenuity, a product of unparalleled genius, is the humble crankshaft. If I'm correct, what it does is nothing less than miraculous - translates linear motion into rotational motion. It's found in all engines and converts the linear motion of the pistons into, ultimately, circular motion of the wheels.

Imagine evil is represented by the linear motion of the pistons and good by the circular motion of the wheels. Is it possible at all to invent and put into action a moral crankshaft which converts all evil thoughts, speech and deeds into good? For those with different "tastes", the converse maybe more appealing.

The fact that the analogy is not perfect is not lost on me but I'm sure everyone will know, without the slightest difficulty, what I'm getting at.
  • 180 Proof
    Imagine evil is represented by the linear motion of the pistons and good by the circular motion of the wheels. Is it possible at all to invent and put into action a moral crankshaft which converts all evil thoughts, speech and deeds into good?TheMadFool
    Sounds like an analogy for (xtian) theodicy - which is an apology for divinely permissable -teleological - "evil". Historical, as well as intellectual, track-record is highly problematic at best.
  • unenlightened
    Sounds like the invisible hand, whereby greedy selfish people do what we want them to do in order to enrich themselves.
  • TheMadFool
    Sounds like an analogy for (xtian) theodicy - which is an apology for divinely permissable -teleological - "evil". Historical, as well as intellectual, track-record is highly problematic at best.180 Proof

I didn't intend to get into religion. While I'm reluctant to fully endorse the belief that the ends justify the means, what I'm proposing here seems to lend support to it. Weapons are the first thoughts that come to mind - they're uneqivocally evil - their purpose to kill/maim but they can also be used to protect the weak and vulnerable. Another way of putting it is, can evil ever be a force of good?

Sounds like the invisible hand, whereby greedy selfish people do what we want them to do in order to enrich themselves.unenlightened

Have a look at my response to 180 Proof.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.