• Aidan buk
    I'm currently an undergrad, hoping to eventually gain a PhD in Philosophy. I've always been very interested in Math, and wish to study it at University level someday. Anyone particularly interested in both? If so, do you find much commonality in the two? Does Philosophy, specifically logic, have much carry over? Thanks a lot.
  • 180 Proof
    Math is about (or, more basically, begins with) counting but is not about 'what to count' or 'what (or who) counts'. The latter concerns philosophy. Just my two bits. Good luck, Aidan, and welcome to TPF.
  • Aidan buk
    Thanks for your answer :).
  • jgill
    I'm a retired mathematician. There seems to be a considerable overlap with analytic philosophy in the foundations of mathematics and set theory, very abstract topics that occasionally generate what are called pathological examples. However, these areas of mathematics are not extraordinarily popular in my profession. More traditional paths of mathematical thought align with the physical sciences better. Other than that, my opinion is there is very little common ground in the two disciplines.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.