• ssu
    There's at least one website devoted to it but I hesitated to explore it in any depth, as images of Lord Nelson, Robert E. Lee and a boy scout, among others, were prominently on display.Ciceronianus the White
    Oh the horror! Nelson, Lee and a boy scout!!!

Yikes. How contemptible, even sinister. Better have their pictures of Gandhi, Rigoberta Menchú Tum, Ta-Nehisi Coates...

Well, the site is at Kansas State University, so I guess you shouldn't put too much emphasis on the pictures being a political statement, but now days, everything of course raises suspicion. It's Kansas. Yet I don't think the organizer has a clear view about it, actually:

We are not quite sure what we mean by honor now. There is less shared understanding of many things in modern liberal society, and certainly honor is one of those ideas for which there is no common understanding. Not only that, but for many it is not an important concept at all, having been replaced with the more democratic “morality.” For others, it holds mainly negative connotations–chivalric honor, which reminds us of sexism, warrior honor which sounds dangerous and destructive, and of course the honor of women as understood in modern political Islam, generating violence against women.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.