• Eugen
    Physical pain (physical process, objective) causes us suffering (a subjective experience). Too much suffering caused by pain causes the brain to fail and cause fainting or even death.

Suppose that in the future the human body will become much more resistant, but also with many more nerves that, theoretically, can transmit much more information to the brain.

In this case:

1. The changes will take place only on a physical level, but the suffering, as a subjective perception, will be practically the same.

2. Due to the increase in endurance, the brain will give in much harder, leaving suffering much more room for maneuver until fainting or death, and the perceived torment will be proportionally greater than at present.

Which one is correct?
  • Josh Lee
    Actually I like to believe that the opposite is true, we are experiencing less physical pain in modern society due to advancement in technology. Also I think that pain equates suffering is not always the case. There is a saying,” Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.” So in this case, I would like to state that pain is more of a physical state while suffering is more of a mental state. This may be a bad example but I would like to bring up the Monks in Vietnam that set themselves on fire. They sat in the middle of the street and burned without much reaction. I may be misinterpreting your question but these are my thoughts. Cheers :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment