• Benj96
    When I'm "existing", am I "doing" an action or "being" and object or substance? Is exerting an influence on the universe both being and doing?

Is "doing" only qualitatively different to "being" when "being" is implicit in the meaning of the "doing" word. For example "I am walking" (doing). The implicit information from walking being that I must be some animate lifeform (being) with the capacity to walk (do).
    In this case would "doing" be a subsidiary class of being - like a temporary state second to the initial/fundamental state of simply existing (being).

As in I exist (object). Now how do I exist? Well I do this, do that and do those (qualities, behaviours, appearance, actions - all things that further define the type of being).
  • BC
    Buddhist joke: Don't just do something, stand there. (Don't just do, just be)

TO BE is an immensely complicated verb compared to TO DO. Doing things is delimited; being is unbounded.

A book could be written on being.
  • Pfhorrest
    To be is to do. An object is just a bundle of attributes and each attribute is just a propensity to do something in some circumstances. Nothing can exist and do literally nothing, and the whole of anything’s being is what it does.
  • A Seagull

Doing is doing something; being is doing nothing.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.