• James Herr
    Please forgive me for using the forum to try and cement my own knowledge of Kant’s first critique. I am struggling a bit trying to do it on my own. It would be very beneficial for me if I could make it a little more concrete with a fixed example of how the different concepts revolve around an example. I would really appreciate input on how, for example, how I arrive at the knowledge of seeing a read apple before me.

Let me try first insofar as I understand it:

I see a red apple before me. This is given to me as an appearance through the faculty of my sensibility, and its appearance is formed through how my intuition is one that consists of space and time. I know that it is outside of me because of space, and I know that I am seeing it here and now because time is an inner sense and the sequence through which I see the apple is part of a progression of events.

I know that it is an apple because I have the concept of an apple, gained through empirical knowledge. My intuitions of apples have allowed me to build a concept of an apple, which I now apply through the faculty of understanding to the appearance. This is done through the categories of understanding and the schematisation of them.

I know that it is read through the same process.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.