• Amity
    OK. Just going to start this thread for fun.
    Throwing out the rules of what an OP should be like and just going for it. If it gets thrown out in turn, then so be it.

So, my question concerns philosophy and why doesn't it get down and dirty on the telly ? Perhaps it has and I missed it...

This forum provides a most accessible way in to serious topics and authors of philosophy. It can also be fun, even given my claim here:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/6196/philosophers-are-humourless-gits/p1
    That was fun. For me at least :snicker:

The bone I am currently chewing on is that of the Articles section. And that of Creativity. Definitions - the theory and practice.

What is Art? What is Philosophy? Perennial questions.
    In asking them, do we squeeze the very essence to death ? Sucking philosophy dry, dry philosophy.
    Well, yes and no. It depends on who is asking and how flexible they are. How they practise the art of philosophy.

Back to the telly. And collective consciousness. Oh, did I not mention that. Never mind.

From my recent post, here:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/7630/the-definition-of-art

----------

"...currently there are at least 2 television programmes which involve what might be termed a 'collective creativity'. Both are having to work round the constraints of the coronavirus crisis.

1. https://www.channel4.com/press/news/graysons-art-club
    2. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j45r

1. Is fantastic. Takes place at home. It explores and unleashes creative talent as isolated people come together to share experiences. Also celebs and a bit of teaching going on. I would say it is funny, serious and spiritual. Last night's theme was:
    ' View from my window'. So, a variety of perspectives and materials.
    Grayson spoke to an older viewer/ participant whose painting he chose. He was clearly moved when she said it was her first attempt since primary school. Like so many she had been put down and off art because of a teacher. Now she simply drew from the heart with no rules. She didn't know if she was doing things wrong and she didn't care. She was moved to express herself and her situation.

2. A bit more of a professional masterclass setup:
    'Life Drawing Live: drawing the Nation Together'.
    Along with 6 amateurs in a vast studio, it includes viewers and celebrities. Last time I watched it was about painting nudes. Everyone is painting the same thing, the model.
    And given rules."
    ----------

So much for the Joy of Art at Home and Life throughout the Land.
    What about Philosophy ?

Perhaps it is because it is always part of something else that it doesn't get enough attention in and for itself ?
    Both TV programmes followed a similar philosophy ( engaging and encouraging the public) but had a different format and style.

I would argue that:
    Both had merits and neither sucked the joy out of their subject
    However 1. invoked more fun and spirit into life than 2.

Back to Philosophy. Guess it ain't visual enough for telly. And the practice is not generally seen as fun.
    How can the spirit be captured? But not boxed in.

Finally, before I get accused of boring the pants off everyone, or worse:

How about us taking this 'View from My Window' theme to the Articles section ? Or elsewhere...?
    'Articles' seems a bit stuffy and claustrophobic. The Lounge too hidden away. Wasn't something being proposed about creative writing @Baden ? Is that to be limited to Fiction ?

It's about creating a piece of philosophy.
    Using what you already got about the house or your mind.
    Reaching within and without.
    Taking up the pen and painting the philosophical perspective.

Let's do a Grayson Perry !
    Philosophy not on or in the box but out of it.
    Pourquoi pas ?
  • Braindead
    Off the top of my head, I see philosophy as an educated guess taken further. Philosophy is called philosophy and not a theory because it lacks enough evidence and is debatable. Philosophy can appear dry because, some people simply prefer philosophy to be well defended, rather than a collection hazardous guesses. As for art, I see it as a chance for a person to display his/her sense of aesthetic. Sure we can make things practical, but we might as well make things look great while we’re at it!
  • neonspectraltoast
    I find philosophy much more fun than art, except when people are complete dicks about it. Most people don't realize, but art isn't just free, unfettered expression. You have critics and cynics there, too, which, for me, have ruined the entire thing. The number of people who are just trying to have fun in art is vastly outnumbered by the elitists who are trying to get ahead at others' expense. Art isn't fun; it's mostly pretentious.

Sometimes philosophy is the same way, but not nearly as much, in my experience.
  • Frank Apisa
    If you say someone is a philosopher, you are indicating that he/she has a hobby of collecting stamps...

...oh, wait a minute. I'm not gonna post this until after I check on that word. Lemme see...where is that "put on hold" button. Oh yeah....
  • Amity
    Off the top of my head, I see philosophy as an educated guess taken further.Braindead

Well, that's one way of looking at it. There are so many different perspectives, some more serious than others. All pretty much worth considering, if only to refuse or recycle.

Philosophy can appear dry because, some people simply prefer philosophy to be well defended, rather than a collection hazardous guesses.Braindead

I think philosophy can appear dry because in some cases the material is old hat. People don't see the relevance of it in their daily lives. It's the old theory v practice thing.

Philosophy is perceived as a dry, academic subject.
    Why ?
    Philosophers as such are not generally seen in action. Only if you go look up YouTube you might find an excellent prof engaging creatively with his students. Making it fun and making them actively think. There's an art to that. It can be aesthetically pleasing.

But it doesn't stop there, or shouldn't. Philosophy is also an art of living. Not just for grades.

Fun or aggro philosophy.
    Kids know how to do this in everyday exchanges.
    That's not fair ! Why ? Because 1, 2 and 3.
    Or they fight. Just as those in power do.
    Just as they create their own worlds, they create art.

For the love and fun of it. The play aspect helps them grow.

Perhaps we already have this in @jamalrob' 's Philosophy Club. And I've just spent a lot of hot air on nothing.
    Yeah. Doing it again. Same old pattern.
    OK. Time for a break. Bye and thanks for listening.

Thanks.
  • neonspectraltoast
    Most people just don't want to consider big perspectives. Which is a blessing and a curse. You know, in the old days, you'd have a thirty minute Primetime tv interview starring Aldous Huxley. If we were still the intellectual society we once were, I bet the water would be polluted with literally every Joe Blow waxing poetic and not really contributing much of value. The way it is, in these obscure corners of the internet, is much easier to swallow. Even if things are getting dumber every second.

Just look how music has become a bona fide career. Look at the hundreds of thousands of hack artists trying idiotically to become famous, and for what?

The lights are too bright now.
  • jgill
    Wasn't something being proposed about creative writing Baden ? Is that to be limited to Fiction ?Amity

Obviously not, reading posts in this forum. :smirk:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet