• Benj96
    There is a reality that binds us all. A medium through which we all interact and live. Yet none of us knows how to accurately define it objectively. Because despite all of us being each an object, we do so subjectively from our limited life experiences, beliefs and prejudices - both those which we actively choose to hold and those which we accept blindly/ subconsciously assume.

So how does one remove delusion using an inherently erroneous, flawed and deluded "device". How does one see reality as it actually is if their equipment to perceive it makes errors constantly and uses those errors as a means to make corrections?

Is perception itself an error or assumption? In that there is perhaps no self at all that is observing just a highly complex arrangement of universe that can call itself an identity. If I destroy my ego am I objective yet? Or is my ego linked to conscious awareness in the first place and as long as I am alive I will never be one with reality but seated in the observers body removed from that with which I observe until death dissolve me into it.

• protheroAccepted Answer
    You seem to be on the path to Humean skepticism or even "solipsism". We are hopelessly separated from the "real world" through the "veil of perception". Placing epistomology over ontology and accepting at face value "the sense perception theory of knowledge".

I think we are much more connected to the world than this view would allow. We are part of the world, having arisen from the world. Our sense have provided an accurate enough picture or representation for us to survive.

In fact perception is at its more fundamental basis a process of causal efficacy. A chain of causal events, light striking the retina, nerve stimulation, visual cortex pattern resulting in presentational immediacy and interpreted in symbolic reference.

We don't perceive a separated bundle of impressions we perceive a wall, a rock, another human being.
    We are not cut off from the world in the way Hume or even Kant would suggest.
  • A Seagull
    Is perception itself an error or assumption?Benj96

Its an assumption.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal