• Shawn
    I ask due to my own concern with my well-being. I have fallen off a cliff of joy for accepting my depression. Yet, the question remains in my mind, as to whether this is healthy, much like my smoking habit.

I have the basic question presented, as the root cause of depression, and what it may mean about itself?

My personal take: Depression originated from self-hated, self-punishment, and self-mortification. In these realms it seems that depression has always attained better success at treatment due to a change in environmental factors and psychotherapy. It seems many forms of depression are neurotic or self-satisfying. I say this because it seems to me that depression is self-satisfying in even a masochistic sense. Many people kill themselves due to this self-perpetuating nature of self-inflicted harm, and this also seems true.

What are your thoughts?
  • I like sushi
    I’ve said this before. I don’t think it is either healthy or productive to ask for opinions about something that concerns you on a forum that is full of ... well, people who likely have - at best - a passing knowledge of this area.

Seek out psychotherapy. Don’t stick with the first psychologist that you meet. Be patient.

That’s it. GL
  • Shawn
    I’ve said this before. I don’t think it is either healthy or productive to ask for opinions about something that concerns you on a forum that is full of ... well, people who likely have - at best - a passing knowledge of this area.

Seek out psychotherapy. Don’t stick with the first psychologist that you meet. Be patient.

That’s it. GL
    I like sushi

I appreciate the thoughts of these forum-members perhaps a bit more than you, and hence the question...
  • praxis
    I would guess that the most fundamental cause is stress, with perhaps a genetic predisposition that stress tiggers.
  • Shawn
    I would guess that the most fundamental cause is stress, with perhaps a genetic predisposition that stress tiggers.praxis

But, children would experience stress with or without Prozac, and be jolly fine. It's only later in life that depression or major depression occurs or its ill-effects on the mind.
  • DrOlsnesLea
    There is depression on both sides of the scale: depression straight and schizophrenia with depression and these 2 cases are quite different. Other than that, I agree with Praxis.
  • Shawn

I'm speaking generally, but, specific to my case, and none of that info was cherry picked, I do have schizophrenia and depression.
  • Nils Loc
    Learned helplessness is one theory for developing depression.

A person is continually stuck in a stressful situation where no natural action can ameliorate the stress. They become conditioned to accept such negative states.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.