• gestaltung
    Hello!

I am not so much into existential philosophy and neither in lacanian theory. So I thought that I could maybe ask you two questions I have. (They allready build up on some lacanian / psycho-semiotic knowledge, so probably not everyone will understand them immediately).

The first one ist about the signifier and the real regarding language. Could one say that the material dimension of language kinda points towards the real because it is the part of the signification process which escapes signification? (like the sound of the words etc.. all self referential functions of language (which can be probably related to Jacobson) which point to language itself which is kind of the impossible for language?) Am I right in conceiving this as the symbolic real? And could you say that the subject is experiencing this as a kind of dissolution of the symbolic order?

Could you read in that way (this time not in terms of language) Sartres famous scene in „La Nausée“ where Roquentin sits in the park and is experiencing that the root and then the whole world is something else beyond his understanding and which resists to be understood. How can the pure existence in existentialism understood regarding the lacanian real? Is it just another figure of the real because when there is just being without any qualification it is the same as nothing, so you could describe this again as a paradoxical figure of the real as a non-being? How could one subsequently understand the „side effects“ of existentialistic experiences like the experience that everything is just ephemere, that you conceive yourself as a being which is related to death etc.? Is this just the experience of the ephemeral character of the signified (which includes yourself)?

Thanks a lot in advance!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.