• Deletedmemberzc
    My aim here is to increase my understanding of the introduction and first chapter of Horkheimer and Adorno's book. I've read the book several times over the years and it fascinates me. But I'm aware some posters on this forum have read far, far more than I have and may have a deeper understanding.

So, to kick it off: The Dialectic of Enlightenment: I take this to reflect a Hegel-like dialectical mechanic. Thesis: Enlightenment values. Antithesis: Mythological values.

"The program of the Enlightenment was the disenchantment of the world; the dissolution of myths and the substitution of knowledge for fancy."

"...we show that the prime cause of the retreat from enlightenment into mythology [fascistic myth (?)] is [to be found in] the Enlightenment itself when paralyzed by fear of the truth."

"...the self-destruction of the Enlightenment..."

"...the enigmatic readiness of the technologically educated masses to fall under the sway of any despotism..."

etc
  • Enrique

Though I'm not sure how it relates to your book, an idea I've been thinking about is that the majority of Western citizens in the 20th century actually had enough education to be considered enlightened as individuals, but this intellectuality was psychologically corrupted somehow by incapacity to modify some archaic facets of culture accordingly, breeding various incarnations of disillusioned nihilism and eventually a decaying of collectivity, so initial Enlightenment-inspired institutional reforming has given way to a mere shell within which the reasons and valuations that originally legitimized it are rotting away. By this account, the cause of degeneration is not essentially fear of truth but rather the inability to operationalize progressive truth as social mechanism during a particular historical epoch, evolving into irresponsible, unprincipled abuse of truth and ultimately a rejection of sincere progressive advocacy. Not yet entirely convinced this assessment is accurate, but if it is, the examination of how abandoned rationales are being compensated for civically could be an interesting issue to address. Hopefully I stated that effectively enough.
  • Valentinus

It is interesting how the results of the "enlightenment" are claimed by one school of thought or another.
    Perhaps you could start by saying what you think.
    I don't have a particularly interesting point of view on this issue.
    Maybe you do.
  • Ugesh
    When you transcend, you enlighten :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal