• Shawn
    Can anyone tell me who according to you are the happiest philosophers? I've expended too much of my youth indulging in trifle self-gloating narcissistic depressive tendencies. I feel as though too many young people are exposed to this sort of wallowing in the mire of depression. I don't entirely understand why people decide to willingly indulge in depression; but, it is this sort of self-stultifying tendency that I am really tired of.

Anyone more mature and willing to share a thought or two?
  • Pfhorrest
    “Sad is like happy for people who are deep”, said a Doctor Who character once. I used to sympathize with that, I think because dark feelings in literature and other media seem cathartic somehow. But at some point, yeah, you get fed up with all the wallowing in darkness and realize that “shallow” earnest joy is the place to be, and “depth” doesn’t have to mean sinking ever deeper into bottomless pits of despair.

The character Iroh from the show Avatar: The Last Airbender really exhibits a kind if joyous depth. He seems very “philosophical”, but I can’t think of any actual philosophers he resembles.
  • Shawn

Hey man, glad to see you wallowing about again. I've been thinking of Henri Bergson. He seems to place the importance of the will to live above any other secondary or tertiary "wills".

What do you think?

I'm actually thinking about throwing out my Schopenhauer books. I am so effin tired of sapping myself out of life.
  • Pfhorrest
    Not familiar with Bergson, but I think I’ve had a similar thought: that the meaning of life is enjoying just being alive while you can, and then doing whatever you can to keep on doing that ad long as possible. In contrast to fearing death, or feeling like there’s no point to living. The point to living is to enjoy living, and if you’re really enjoying it while it’s happening you won’t really be afraid of death, even though you should still act as necessary to avoid it.
  • Shawn
    Not familiar with Bergson, but I think I’ve had a similar thought: that the meaning of life is enjoying just being alive while you can, and then doing whatever you can to keep on doing that some ad long as possible. In contrast to fearing death, or feeling like there’s no point to living. The point to living is to enjoy living, and if you’re really enjoying it while it’s happening you won’t really be afraid if death, even though you should still act as necessary to avoid it.Pfhorrest

Dude, talk to me. I have been even empathizing with death recently. You have no idea what kind of stigma this has left on me. [DELETE] I am baffled at what God has imposed on death. I hope to God that he has no heart or conscious.

My heart is bleeding on the very thought.
  • 3017amen

The good news is, that there is a beginning. The genesis of this awareness inside of you. A re-birth of sorts.
  • Shawn
    The good news is, that there is a beginning. The genesis of this awareness inside of you. A re-birth of sorts.3017amen

I am suffering man. SO much suffering. I do not understand.
  • Shawn
    I really have not been indulging in suicidal thought; but, I actually had to go to the hospital recently. I do not understand my own tendencies of emulation; but, once I started thinking of you know who, I became so self-mortifying and sad. It's crazy people.
  • Shawn
    @unenlightened, I'm really sorry to reach out like a dunce; but, what am I doing wrong, man?
  • 3017amen
    I am suffering man. SO much suffering. I do not understand.Shawn

Ok, you seem to have a level of self-awareness whereby it is causing you to introspect about your own happiness and lack thereof.

What is causing this (these are growing pains)? As I said, the good news is that you are apparently going through change/growing pains that is somewhat more acute than you have previously experienced. Are you searching for more; more of some thing, or less of some thing?

For instance, you are seemingly now becoming aware that Existentialism is depressing. Why?
  • Shawn
    What is causing this (these are growing pains)? As I said, the good news is that you are apparently going through change/growing pains that is somewhat more acute than you have previously experienced. Are you searching for more; more of some thing, or less of some thing?

For instance, you are seemingly now becoming aware that Existentialism is depressing. Why?
    3017amen

I am not feeling enough, dude. I feel like I'm dying out of this lack of feeling pain. That's what I'm all about nowadays.

Existentialism itself is not depressing, it is that arising sentiment that life itself is causing pain that makes one want to shut off from the world.
  • Shawn
    I'm really neurotic about medicine nowadays, it's like all doctors are out there to relieve pain, when that's what we need, as human beings.
  • 3017amen

Not to sound glib, but what is pleasure without pain? (What does that look like… .)

I realize it is easy to dichotomize everything, but...
  • Shawn
    Not to sound glib, but what is pleasure without pain? (What does that look like… .)

I realize it is easy to dichotomize everything, but...
    3017amen

Everyone, if not most people, are relieving pain nowadays. Ibuprofen, morphine, SSRI's, man. It's scary that we're all shutting down our pain centers.
  • Shawn
    And, then there's anger. Everyone is being lobotomized from all this overabundance of happiness.

I'm sorry if this thread is devolving; but, happiness is found through excruciating pain and then a norm of some sort. Now bann me, lol.
  • 180 Proof
    Define what you mean by 'happiness'.
  • Shawn
    Define what you mean by 'happiness'.180 Proof

Can that eveeeeer be accomplished, compadre?
  • 180 Proof
    So you cannot define what you mean by 'happiness'?
  • Shawn
    So you cannot define what you mean by 'happiness'?180 Proof

I believe it is normative in nature, even in an elevated sense.
  • praxis
    Epictetus in eudaimonia.
  • Shawn
    Epictetus in eudaimonia.praxis

Thanks broseph. It's not really fun or anything, just so you know... Epicurus takes the cake here for some reason.
  • Shawn

Sorry guy, I had a mini meltdown, then some satanic dreams. I'm somewhat in a error loop recently.
  • Valentinus

Your question about happiness is interesting. I read Spinoza as speaking as a happy person. He certainly resisted the dour premises of many of his contemporaries. He lived his life on his terms even though it exiled him from many associations. He found his own associations.
  • 180 Proof
    Democritus
    Siddhartha Gautama
    Diogenes of Sinope
    Epicurus
    Pyrrho of Elis
    Seneca
    Epictetus
    Montaigne
    Spinoza
    Hume
    Peter Wessel Zapffe