• bizso09
    First of all, we can agree that people do things. But why? It's because they want to achieve a goal. But what goal do they want to achieve? They want to do something good and avoid something bad.

Now what determines if something is good or bad? It cannot come from people because that would be self referential. If I want to do something good, and I decide what good is, then how do I decide it? It would be arbitrary.

The only way people can have goals is for the goals be external to them. They must do good as defined by an external factor or the environment. But people have free will, so how can this be?

Free will implies they can choose whatever they want, without external constraints. The only problem is how do they know what they want?

All rational planning decisions are actually for the purpose of satisfying a completely irrational emotion. Some things make us experience pleasure, others pain, but which things go with which emotion is handed to us.

You might say it makes sense for me to avoid the pain of dying, otherwise I would not exist. However, just because I came to exist via the process of evolution, it doesn't mean I have to obey its rules since I am a free agent and can do whatever I want, even random things.

Although it makes sense that death is painful overall, for me personally there is no rational reason to avoid death, apart from the fact that it's painful, and I associate pain with "avoidance behaviour". Why should I care to exist at all, when I did not care to be born either.

At the end of the day, it is emotions that control us completely, and although people do come up with reasons to do things, actually everything happens because external factors prompt emotions to tell us what to do.

So how do emotions actually make us do things? They do it by exerting a force on to us. It's similar how gravity pushes two objects together. But this force governs behaviour and the mind.

I call it the Force of Want, and in my opinion it's a fundamental force of the universe. We sense it via our minds and obey it, because we are completely helpless to do otherwise. In fact, I would say this force of want is what creates all experience in us, that corresponds to various emotions. If there was no such force, we simply would not know what we would want to do, and we could not be conscious, since being aware is a feeling itself.

Although it is true that electric signals in the brain makes us have experience, it's actually this generated force of want that pushes to to do things via pain, pleasure and other emotions. It is through emotions that we experience this force field.

The force acts on the topology of the mind and wants. It makes us seek out different states of the world, and achieve it. By applying rational planning, we can navigate the world and push through any obstacles that might arise, depending on how strong our want is, or how strong the force pushes us.

You can even measure it in units of willpower. In theory, this would be possible to measure it by interviewing people to know how much they want certain things in certain environments.
  • h060tu
    They want to do something good and avoid something bad.bizso09

Really? I don't think so. People just "do things"

I don't think there's rhyme or reason. People might dress it up like there is though.
  • bizso09

there has to be some order, otherwise there would be pure random chaos or noise. The order comes from the force field of want, just like electro-magnetism or gravity.
  • h060tu
    there has to be some order, otherwise there would be pure random chaos or noise. The order comes from the force field of want, just like electro-magnetism or gravity.bizso09

I think there is an order in the universe. But not in society. Society is a construct of the machinations of the elites who run it and the dumb herd who are ran by them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.