• I like sushi
    It was to set up a means of understanding consciousness and cognition apart from, but not in opposition to, the naturalistic attitude. Heidegger latched onto the problem of temporality with some vigour, and some success. The underlying point of Husserl’s phenomenology was consciousness, and he was very much opposed to psychologism.

It’s clear enough to me that Heidegger did good work in highlighting, and explicating, some of Husserl’s points, but overall I don’t see the route he took as being anything like Husserl’s primary concern.

As for proof? Heidegger proved nothing? He created, cleaved to, one important aspect of Husserl’s phenomenological project. Both were obtuse and I think it’s fair to say they both probably opposed the idea of reaching a ‘conclusion’ - a ‘conclusion’ is not something a method does, just like science (as a project) doesn’t have a ‘conclusion’ per se. Some went with Husserl and some went with Heidegger. I think it’s probably reasonable to say that more went with Heidegger, but that more recently there has been increasing interest in Husserl - particularly when it comes to the cognitive neurosciences.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I think I touched on that here: "There is also an element of sorge that connotes something almost like 'anxiety,' which relates to Heidegger's conception of dasein as always looking ahead of itself." So no, not complete separation.Wolfman

If I remember correctly, there is a relationship between anxiety and authenticity. Doesn't anxiety divide into two distinct forms, one authentic, the other inauthentic?
  • aodhan
    Correct me if im wrong, heidegger was saying primordial being bears a paradoxical relationship to the use of amenities, there is no traction between the two orders of dasein, the use of a hammer is an analogy, the culture is neccessarily loaded, as a thought experiment the item itself is irrelevant, say a culture sees a microchip for the first time and cant put it into context, dasein is still pesent in the attempt to place it as an amenity, i think heideeger was addressing being as opposed to particularity
  • aodhan
    Das mann was a concept of heidegger's in which individuals submerge their own anxiety in conformity, he saw anxiety as the precondition and the negation of individual autonomy
  • Gregory
    I find that Heidegger is a lot like Aristotle in his thinking except that we are the Prime Movers, the final cause which the potentiality of the world revolves around. Being comes upon us thru conscience and beauty. Hegel is the link between Heidegger and Aristotle.
  • Gregory
    Hume is important to understanding Heidegger too. The reason for existence is consciousness. The universe as a whole doest have a cause, or a meaning apart from consciousness within temporaliy. In Being and Time he rejects God as an explanation for conscience. It is rather paradoxical
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.