• Shawn
    To whom it may concern, I have had a very limited experience with psychedelics. Namely, my first and only, mushroom trip brought out or even intensified my anxiety and some form of psychotic disorder.

Still, though, the trip was highly elucidating in the manner of presenting a supreme fear of death induced through the drug of a ego-death. No matter what, I felt like nothing could break me down after the experience, and this was proven so after joining the military which I hated upon the second day of realizing that my life was handed over to my training instructor, and Uncle Sam. I am quite a control freak, and could not handle being controlled. I guess, I was just incredibly stupid at the time of expecting some miracle or revelation, which actually came about when laying in bed and thinking what a stupid idiot I was for handing over the reigns of my future to another person or institution.

My personal experience aside, I want to ask other members of the forum of their own experiences with psychedelics? Did any of you experience ego-death or a really bad trip? How did you integrate the experience?

Also, why do psychedelics bring out latent psychological disorders, and yet, are considered as something incredibly powerful for treating phobias and other psycho-social induced disorders?

Thanks.
  • praxis
    There'a a realy good book called How to Change Your Mind that is very thourough on the subject. Also, the author relates the story of several trips on different forms of psychedelics, which is interesting.

I'd like to try a trip or two myself, without getting arrested.
  • I like sushi
    There was a guy on Sean Carroll’s podcast talking about psychedelics recently ... ah! It’s on youtube too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOEHWbl3KFc

Most of the guests are fascinating.
  • Pantagruel
    Psychedelics are not for entertainment. Maybe if you are only interested in getting as far out of your own head as possible without any concern for the consequences. But presumably that wouldn't be anyone on this forum. So if you plan to use psychedelics, you should not only be prepared but eager to face your inner demons. And be prepared to change. You need to be open-minded but determined.

If you have already cultivated that attitude and made it a habit to work in that direction in general, then maybe psychedelics could be a tool for your. If not, and you're not just out to have a laugh riot, then you probably won't have a great time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.