• Mikie
    When does the formation of logic begin? When Greek philosophy comes to an end and becomes a matter of schools, organization, and technique. It begins when eon, the being of beings, appears as idea, and as idea becomes the "object" of episteme. Logic originated in the ambit of the administration of the Platonic-Aristotelian schools. Logic is an invention of schoolteachers, not of philosophers.

Thoughts on the above?
  • unenlightened
    'Logos' is the Greek, the word, or thought, or idea or reason.

Thus logic is the laws of thought - how it works; or of words.

Logic is an invention of schoolteachers, not of philosophers.Xtrix

As if there is a clear demarcation. Philosophers do not teach and teachers do not philosophise.

Nonsense! When does it begin? at the beginning of the sentence. Talk nonsense - I do it quite often, and mean to communicate thereby. Analogy is nonsense because it is ana-logical.
  • Mikie
    'Logos' is the Greek, the word, or thought, or idea or reason.unenlightened

That's one translation, the common one. There is that meaning in ancient Greece, as well. But in Homer, Heraclitus, and others, the word logos is more akin to "collect," or "gather."

Thus logic is the laws of thought - how it works; or of words.unenlightened

What does the "thus" have to do with? This implies that this sentence follows from the first -- which it doesn't, because you haven't explained anything.

"Logic" is an abbreviation of επιστεμε λογικε, as the "science of logos" -- logos here meaning "assertion." This sense of logos as "assertion" has an interesting story as well.

As if there is a clear demarcation. Philosophers do not teach and teachers do not philosophise.unenlightened

Of course they do. What's the point?
  • Banno
    Logic is an invention of schoolteachers, not of philosophers.Xtrix

So much the better for logic, then.
  • Eli
    Does anyone have time to help me solve a proof?? I'm desperate!
  • Mikie

Message me.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.