• avalon
    I would like to develop a previous point: Life cannot be both worth living and acceptable in ending. One of these premeses has to be false, either life is not worth living (and therefore there is no reason not to end it) or death is inherently bad (and therefore should be feared). This presents an interesting dilemma as neither outcome is particularly desirable in my opinion: either fear death or kill yourself.JacobPhilosophy

Death is “acceptable” to us due to its inevitability. If we truly had a choice about it, we could debate the merit of existing forever vs ending one’s life. The question is whether life is worth living in spite of death. I’d argue that death’s inevitability and permanence makes life’s worth living, even if to simply see what’s next.
  • Augustusea

conclude that death is not inherently bad, but also that life is worth living; These two premises are contradictory in my opinion. If something (life) is worth keeping, then surely the removal of said thing is inherently negative
    Isn't this a false dilemma you're committing here?
    for example life ought to be lived is a good statement, but that doesn't necessarily entail death being a bad state, there is nothing to entail so,

but as for my opinion, I believe the "a person ought to live but death isn't bad" statement comes from a place of both the wille zum leben and the rational mind, since there is nothing that inherently makes living an ought except the irrational force of the wille zum leben in my belief.
  • John Onestrand

You wont die. You will only live. You can't experience death much like you can't see beyond your visual field.
    So for you, death wont come, but I think you agree.

You don't need a reason to live, you need a reason to end it.
    A rational reason to end your life is when your total estimated suffering outweighs your total estimated enjoyment.

Life has no purpose whatsoever, it's just an expression of the natural laws.
    But if you think life is pointless, let's turn to Death - the Grandmaster of Utterly Pointlessness.

Life is something, death is not.
  • Khalid
    Religion has a lot to say here. As a Muslim i believe that i have been created by God for the Purpose of worshipping Him. Worshipping is not only Praying and giving alms. Living your life with a purpose of glorifying God and enjoying your life in His name is a kind of worship to God
  • T2-37K
    We all have plenty of reasons to live, the problem is the reason for that reason.
  • SpaceDweller
    A reason to live is to respect the fact that you were born in the first place.

The chance to be born is very small.
  • MondoR
    The answer to your question lies in Spirituality, not philosophy. Yes, Life and Death are an endless cycle, just like Sleep and Awake. We move within these cycles to learn and rest, like a pendulum. We are time, and memory is what we are, what we have experienced, and what we are becoming. It is like the Light from a star. It never dies, just changes.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet