• Metaphysician Undercover
    I'm confused now. Who allegedly invented the coronavirus, was it the Chinese or the Russians?
  • wiyte
    That idea is prominent you are probably a tad racist for saying it, but I believe we need to be separate categories - so you can say this.
  • fdrake

You didn't offend me. You just wrote a bunch of nonsense.
  • wiyte
    it had some merit. You understood. So I guess it's just wrong.
  • fdrake

Understanding something does not, by itself, give it merit.
  • wiyte
    A joker I see.
  • fdrake

Nah, I think I took what you wrote more seriously than you did. :wink:
  • wiyte
    Nah... I'm not serious about it at all.
  • wiyte
    I was just subscribing.
  • fdrake

You're willing to promote individual aggression towards Chinese people and Russians for a joke?
  • wiyte
    Nah never.

They would have a beautiful death in war and same as in peace.
  • fdrake
    They would have a beautiful death in war and same as in peace.wiyte

So now the aggression you promoted towards the Chinese and the Russians for the sole purposes of a joke is... Buttressed by a declaration that it doesn't matter how they die.
  • wiyte
    Not a joke because the prospect that we may be thrown into war is likely, I don't think some solitude with potential enemies is right now beneficent. People need an intellectual peace of strict good communications that's not what it is, that's what the Government are dealing with. I'm more in support of our Government. I am have peace made out of aggression because we have been threatened. Ties need to be mended in war areas.
  • fdrake
    I don't think some solitude with potential enemies is right now beneficent.wiyte

Framing Chinese people and Russians as enemies.

People need an intellectual peace of strict good communications that's not what it is, that's what the Government are dealing with.wiyte

Stating that the government (which, where?) are dealing with people being too PC towards people from other nations (characterised as threats/enemies).

I am have peace made out of aggression because we have been threatened. Ties need to be mended in war areas.wiyte

And this is a problem because, you claim, other nations are a threat.

I'm more in support of our Government.wiyte

But you obfuscated those claims by saying that you support a side (which you invented the characterisation of) by agreeing with the opinions you ascribe to it. Using a common phrase of national solidarity.

For some reason I don't think you are being honest about what you actually believe. :eyes:
  • wiyte
    I don't think the Chinese man is ugly, I don't want to neglect his life in any way. A Chinese Government and Russian Governments have publicly threatened war. I am not even trying to incite war, but have more social presence on the matter.
  • fdrake
    do we leave it to the Govs or do we stand as a separate, people Governmentwiyte
    I am not even trying to incite war, but have more social presence on the matter.wiyte

No, promoting personal violence against foreigners is much more peaceful. Apparently.
  • wiyte
    Not that much aggression, questions, theories such as Chinese virus. Look at the topic.
  • Hanover
    I posted a thread about why Israel sends their children to concentration camps at such a young age, and whether it is ethical to do so.Shawn

I started a thread asking why young students from Israel go to holocaust camps as an educational experience, at such a young age.

It got deleted, and was wondering why,
    Shawn

This is actually sort of funny if you so poorly worded a question that it was understood as asking why Israelis systematically murdered their children when what you meant to ask was why Israelis educated their children about the horrors of the holocaust.

The idea is that through education we can be sure such a thing never happens again, and part of educating anyone is in telling them what actually happened. How detailed that discussion might be is probably something that is approached with sensitivity based upon the age of the child, which means I suspect that the educational program provided at the concentration camp would differ according to age. I would imagine it's also like here in the US. If I didn't want my kid to go to the holocaust museum on a class field trip, I'm sure I could opt out.
  • fdrake

And that's the start of the loop.. Not going around it a second time with you.
  • wiyte
    Thanks for allowing me to participate. That's moderation.
  • Shawn

Yes, well. I did provide a small study to this matter. So, my concern wasn't with making a nation look bad or their policies towards the educational experience. It was born out of concern, since I visited such a place on my own.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    I got a private mail warning that I would get banned if I called a virus that originated in Voldemort, and information about which was suppressed by the Voldemort government the Voldmort virus.Nobeernolife

In the current local political climate (21st-Century Trumpiform politics) deploying the qualifier "Chinese" to describe a global pandemic is an act designed to inspire a xenophobic reaction. That should be obvious.

Out-of-context analogizing (German measles; Spanish flu) ignores the pointed niceties of the current climate. In the US, Calling Rubella the German Measles is harmless - in the sense that Germans are never denigrated or Cassandraed-about as the chief enemy of the United States, and anti-German racist sentiment is close to absent here.

In general, arguments from analogy are weak - forced, as they are, to pooh-pooh nuance and context.
  • Ciceronianus
    What exactly are the free speech limits here? Just determined on a whim by the admins?Nobeernolife

Ah, "free speech." Some think that by chanting the phrase any opinion expressed or statement made is allowed, and is justified. The "right of free speech" is a self-serving conceit, don't you think? I wonder how people came to believe they have such a right. Are the authors of the U.S. Constitution responsible for this phenomenon? Could they have guessed that by restricting the ability of government (and only the government) to limit freedom of speech they would encourage folk to believe they have the right to say anything, anywhere, anytime, regardless of its merit or worthiness? I don't think they can be blamed, not really. Who would expect people to make such an inference? Perhaps there's some other source for this delusion.

House rules. It seems quite simple.
  • Frank Apisa
    In the current local political climate (21st-Century Trumpiform politics) deploying the qualifier "Chinese" to describe a global pandemic is an act designed to inspire a xenophobic reaction. That should be obvious.ZzzoneiroCosm

Not only should it be OBVIOUS...it should be SOUNDLY CONDEMNED as well.

This is not the time for that kind of bullshit.

Thanks for speaking out about it.
  • Frank Apisa
    House rules. It seems quite simple.Ciceronianus the White

Yup!
  • deletedusercb
    Well, I agree that it shouldn't be called the Chinese virus. Here's a WHO statement put out in 2015 with their justification for avoiding such things.

https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2015/naming-new-diseases/en/

On the other hand we get these waves of demonizing nations, in media, by politicians, and then spreading through social media, compared to which calling it The Chinese Virus seems rather tame.

I guess I hope that everyone who is carefully monitoring the use of nations in disease names also carefully monitors where all the newsmedia demonizing aimed at a particular nation is coming from and why they become fads, and how wars often follow this.

So, like, cool, but jeez, I hope this care carries over into the really effective propaganda also.
  • Hanover
    Out-of-context analogizing (German measles; Spanish flu) ignores the pointed niceties of the current climate. In the US, Calling Rubella the German Measles is harmless - in the sense that Germans are never denigrated or Cassandraed-about as the chief enemy of the United States, and anti-German racist sentiment is close to absent here.ZzzoneiroCosm

I can respect that it is offensive to some to call it a Chinese virus, so I don't do that. Where there is a disconnect with me here is that I don't sense in my community an anti-Chinese sentiment that goes beyond negativity towards their oppressive government. I truly don't feel any more negativity toward the average Chinese person than I do the average German person, but it's interesting to hear there is a growing prejudice against the Chinese in the US. I generally do have my finger on the pulse of American sentiment, and I've really not heard any Chinese person bashing, although the government is thought to be very dishonest and corrupt here. Of course, my bubble of interaction is limited, so maybe I'm not seeing something that Chinese Americans are experiencing often.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.