• iam1me
    Hi all, new here :) Thought I'd kick things off with an oldie but a goodie: Objective Morality.

Let me start with a simple, fairly well-accepted axiom: Humans are by nature social creatures. For both our physical and mental well-being, we tend to come together. As individuals we can be fairly weak, but together we are hands down the most intelligent and strongest species on the planet. Nor are we by any stretch of the imagination the only social creature. We can look at any number of social creatures and observe how they work together - the collective whole benefiting from this cohesion.

Of course, there are inevitably conflicts between the individual's interests and the collective interest. If an individual in a social group ceases to care about others in the group such that they simply start acting in their own selfish interest, then that compromises the social structure. It may lead to divisions between the individual and others. It may possibly lead to deadly fights. That individual may still benefit from the group, but the group is hindered by this individual's selfishness. If left unchecked, this could lead others to similarly acting in their own self interest to the exclusion of the interests of others - resulting in a very poorly functioning society, if not its complete collapse. And we need not restrict this to individual's - we could similarly be speaking of groups and sub-communities within the larger society in question.

It is vital first and foremost, then, that social creatures know the rules of their society. It is key to the well-being of both the individual and the collective. This knowledge is partly instinctual and partly learned. On the one hand, it is instinctual in that by understanding our own basic needs, desires, and emotions that we may understand the same of others. This allows individuals to empathize with others and act to help them in their time of need. It also helps them to know when their actions would hurt others.

On the other hand, societies can develop knowledge and traditions beyond the base needs and desires of the body. This is, of course, especially the case with humans - but is also true of animals and of human-animal families. We all teach our dogs not to relieve themselves on the carpet. Wolves are taught/establish a pecking order. etc.

The second most important thing is for a society to be able to recognize and address individuals and sub-communities that have to some degree decided to act selfishly - compromising the well-being of others and of the larger society. This could take the form of a slap on the wrist, to ex-communication, to death. In the best case, these rogue individuals can be corrected and brought back into the fold. In the worst case, they split off as a rival society that the original society must now skirmish against for the foreseeable future. This requires not just knowing the rules of society, but understanding the relative importance of those rules and the weight of breaking them - and responding to them accordingly.

This becomes all the more prevalent in more intelligent species - where the individuals are ever more capable of thinking by and for themselves. The more intelligent the individual, the more they will question the rules of their society and if those rules are really fair and beneficial to them as an individual. And this is a fair line of questioning: for the whole purpose of being part of a society is that it is better for our well-being than being on our own. Of course, we need not look hard in human history to find gross humanitarian abuses where certain groups and individuals suffered far more than they benefited from their societies - such as in American Slavery. Such individuals may ultimately decide as a result that the norms of their society are not worth upholding in part or in whole, and choose to live a subversive lifestyle or abandon the society altogether.

Based upon all this I would argue there is, in fact, Objective Morality - and that it is rooted in our nature as intelligent social creatures. Additionally, there are two broad polarizing issues: the collective & the individual. While individual greed and selfishness and infighting within the group are negatives that threaten the collective, social rules that place an unreasonable burden upon individuals/groups in the name of the collective can be equally damaging to social cohesion. It must be remembered that society exists for the sake of the people first, rather than people for society.

Individual greed and selfishness leads to things like murder, theft, rape, etc. However it is the collective greed and selfishness, especially of the upper classes who stand to profit, that leads to things like slavery, usury, severe poverty in a prosperous nation, death from easily curable diseases, needless wars, and Trump...

In addition to the broad evils of greed and selfishness, hate similarly harms society. This is especially the case for irrational hate - like hate for anyone different from you in belief, language, skin color, nation, etc. Such hate forms deep divides within society, infighting, and suffering. Hate is very difficult heal. Hate doesn't forgive, nor does it repent. Hate is largely irrational - going beyond mere justified anger, to a deep seated emotional state that becomes a part of the individual and the collective. Hate is a poison that directly conflicts with the establishment of a peaceful, unified society.

On the other hand, when individuals act with the well-being of others in mind, and when the collective acts with the well-being of the individual in mind, then you have a truly good society that will flourish - where the individual and the collective can live good lives.

This then is Objective Morality, as per our nature as intelligent social beings: Don't hate irrationally - forming unnecessary divisions and hostility between people. Don't act selfishly/greedily - unjustly harming others for your own gain. Consider the impact your actions have on others, and act with their well-being in mind. Strive for peace and mutual prosperity. When people live like this, all else equal, then we individually and collectively can live happy lives with prosperous societies. ie, love others as yourself.

Saints may go above and beyond this, of course, putting aside their own well-being for the sake of others. Here maybe found the true Zenith of society, that elusive Utopia: where everyone is willing to sacrifice of themselves - even their own life - for the sake of other individuals and for the collective good.
  • SophistiCat
    Based upon all this I would argue there is, in fact, Objective Moralityiam1me

Based on what, exactly? It is not clear on what grounds you match the words Objective Morality with the platitudes with which you conclude your post. You begin by outlining a naturalistic theory of the emergence of moral attitudes in the human society. I'll grant, for the sake of an argument, that it is a plausible theory. I'll also grant that the imperative of unselfish cooperation is an attitude that, according to this theory, can be expected to be promoted in the human species in the course of its natural evolution. But what does any of this have to do with Objective Morality?
  • iam1me

Morality serves as a guide for our actions - telling us how to do good vs evil; to do what is right vs wrong. We might propose several, not necessarily conflicting, moral systems depending upon the subject matter - good/right actions deemed as such based upon some end goal or other criteria. Here I'm focused on the concept of a society and the individuals that compose it. As per my previous post, I posit that our actions individually and collectively play a role in shaping our society at large. Hateful and selfish acts are detrimental to society - even posing the risk of destroying said society. On the other hand, if we act with the well being of others in mind, loving them as ourselves, then (all else equal) society will flourish. The individual and the collective whole will benefit and be made strong together.

Furthermore, It is objective because it is rooted in our human nature as intelligent social creatures. Mankind forms and lives in societies - and these societies require morality as spoken of above.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    t is vital first and foremost, then, that social creatures know the rules of their society. It is key to the well-being of both the individual and the collective. This knowledge is partly instinctual and partly learned. On the one hand, it is instinctual in that by understanding our own basic needs, desires, and emotions that we may understand the same of others. This allows individuals to empathize with others and act to help them in their time of need. It also helps them to know when their actions would hurt others.iam1me

I think you may need to alter this principle a bit. What is evident, and therefore observationally important, is that the creatures act in a consistent manner, 'follow rules', not that they know the rules. Evidently, many people know the rules, but do not follow them. Also, in the case of other social creatures, like insects for example, it's hard to say that they have knowledge of the rules, they just sort of act in a particular way, without really following any specific rules.

Creatures like insects act in a way as if they know some rules, when they actually do not know those rules. And, intelligent creature like human beings often know the rules, but do not follow them. Therefore what we call "knowing the rules", and what we call "following rules", are completely distinct things with no necessary relation between them.

So you might want to change how you classify the instinctual/learned categories. I would say that we are generally inclined to act according to instinct. Then we learn to guide our actions in various ways which are not necessarily instinctual ways.

The second most important thing is for a society to be able to recognize and address individuals and sub-communities that have to some degree decided to act selfishly - compromising the well-being of others and of the larger society.iam1me

Now, proceeding from the principles which I outlined above, we can ask, is to act selfishly an instinctual thing, or is it a learned thing. If creatures like humans are naturally social, then acting selfishly is not instinctual, and therefore must be learned. This might mean that the selfish people must be somehow misguided, and we could look for proper education to prevent this sort of individualistic behaviour. But if selfishness is an instinctual tendency, then we would need to learn how to direct this tendency to act selfishly, in good ways.

This requires not just knowing the rules of society, but understanding the relative importance of those rules and the weight of breaking them - and responding to them accordingly.iam1me

I don't think that focusing on rules is the proper approach here. As mentioned above, many individuals are not inclined to follow the rules, even when they know them. These individuals might learn the law for the purpose of finding loopholes, and ways of avoiding punishment. Therefore in the case of individuals who are not inclined to follow rules, education in the rules is a step in the wrong direction.

This becomes all the more prevalent in more intelligent species - where the individuals are ever more capable of thinking by and for themselves. The more intelligent the individual, the more they will question the rules of their society and if those rules are really fair and beneficial to them as an individual.iam1me

It appears to me, that you are classifying 'thinking for oneself' as a form of selfishness. Since all thinking is done by individuals, it appears like all thinking is selfishness. How could you describe 'thinking for another'? A person cannot really do another person's thinking, so 'thinking for another' is not a real scenario, therefore all thinking is 'thinking for oneself' and a form of selfishness. If thinking is an instinctual, and natural tendency of these "more intelligent species", then we ought to see that the members of such species' are naturally and instinctively selfish.

Sometimes human beings are defined as "rational animals", so according to this definition we are essentially selfish. Sometimes human beings are defined as "social animals", so according to this definition we are essentially not selfish. However, the latter definition "social" can be seen to refer to all animals, as social elements can be observed in all, whereas "rational" is what separates us, distinguishes us from the others. So "social" refers to a generalization, what all animals share together, while "rational" refers to a selfishness which separates and individuates people from other animals. And ultimately one's own unique thinking individuates one human being from another.

Now the rational, "intelligent" individual, being selfish, will question the rules as you say to decide whether or not to follow them. Notice that the animalistic instinct, the "social instinct", is to act by the rules, without even knowing the rules. It might be what is called "herd mentality", we just do what the others are doing, instinctually, because that is what we do, as social animals. The selfish person though, might use the rational mind, and intelligence, to question why am I just following the others, it might be better for me if I struck out on my own, and found my own thing to do.

Based upon all this I would argue there is, in fact, Objective Morality - and that it is rooted in our nature as intelligent social creatures.iam1me

I don't know how you would reconcile these two distinct features, the social and the selfish, to justify an "Objective Morality". Any rational principle must come from a thinking individual, and is therefore inherently a selfish, subjective principle. And if you claim that the "Objective" morality is found in the animalistic "social" tendency, then we'd have to follow our animalistic instincts to be moral, instead of rational principles. How do you proposed to reconcile these two?

In addition to the broad evils of greed and selfishness, hate similarly harms society. This is especially the case for irrational hate - like hate for anyone different from you in belief, language, skin color, nation, etc. Such hate forms deep divides within society, infighting, and suffering. Hate is very difficult heal. Hate doesn't forgive, nor does it repent. Hate is largely irrational - going beyond mere justified anger, to a deep seated emotional state that becomes a part of the individual and the collective. Hate is a poison that directly conflicts with the establishment of a peaceful, unified society.iam1me

I don't see how you can justify your claim that hate is irrational. When the rational, intelligent, and inherently selfish mind, apprehends something as ugly, vile, dastardly, or evil, it will hate that thing. So "hate" is inherent within rationality, kind of how the rational apprehends irrationality, as what it is opposed to. If you relegate Objective Morality to the irrational social tendencies of the animalistic herd mentality, you have no rational principles whereby you might justify "hate is irrational".
  • SophistiCat
    Furthermore, It is objective because it is rooted in our human nature as intelligent social creatures. Mankind forms and lives in societies - and these societies require morality as spoken of above.iam1me

I think you should make explicit your definition of Objective Morality. You treat this as something self-evident, but it is not - unless you are simply coining that phrase for your own special use. But it is then all the more important to state ahead of time what you mean by it and disclaim any pretension to generality - otherwise you have to contend with the existing usage and its controversies.
  • David Mo
    Furthermore, It is objective because it is rooted in our human nature as intelligent social creatures.iam1me

To claim such a thing you must first demonstrate that there is a human nature and how to know it. This is the first step. Then you must prove that human nature is good.

Let us start from the beginning: How do you know that there is a human nature?

You have merely quoted some precepts that are more or less universal. But that does not mean that they are natural. In fact, it happens that many human beings do not follow them. Even if they are a minority, this disproves the thesis that they correspond to human nature.

Explanation:
    The nature of X is the set of properties necessary for something to be an X. If there are human beings who do not follow a rule y, you have only two options. Either say that they are not human or recognize that y is not natural. The second seems more rational.
  • Nalaar
    I think Sam Harris put forward a persuasive case for 'objective morality' in his book 'The Moral Landscape'

The two conceits required are
    1) There is no one peak of morality.
    2) Causing suffering is immoral (and so reducing suffering is moral).

And from there all rivers flow.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet