• Nichiren-123
    Happiness is peace or rest from stress. This is not the same as excitement which is the expectation of future happiness.
    It’s like being stuck in the desert and seeing an oasis in front of you. The sight of the oasis gives rise to excitement and once you reach the water source and drink from it then you experience happiness; relief, rest, satiation and peace.
    True happiness is satiation. The removal of pain and craving.
    Fulfillment is happiness. To have drunk enough water to be satisfied. To reach a state of
    peace where nothing more is desired.

Evolutionary psychology would have it that happiness is a proximate cause. In other words, happiness is a feeling which confers an evolutionary benefit for ourselves. For instance, fatty, sweet and starchy foods are nice and make us happy because it contains a high amount of calories and being adapted to enjoying those foods would increase the chances of survival for our ancestors who lived in a world where food was scarce.

Part of the reason we are never satisfied is that a being which is evolved to crave more stands a better chance of survival. The being is constantly seeking out new opportunities to increase its chance of survival. If we were permanently satisfied then we’d have no motivation to continue bettering our positions.
    If we were satisfied the first time we ate food and never again, or the first time we had sex and never again; then we’d quickly be removed from the gene pool. This means we may have temporary peace/fulfilment/happiness, but soon enough, we will be desiring again. This is called the Hedonic Treadmill.

From an evolutionary perspective, for the survival of life, this is amazing. But from the subjective point of view of an individual, this might be a tragedy. Who wants to be perpetually chasing a carrot on a stick? Constantly on the Treadmill.

My main question is: Can we escape the mechanisms for happiness we’ve evolved to have?
    Is there any loophole out of this situation? Or is energy better spent learning to live in accordance with our evolutionary make-up? Learning to be happy by following our nature?
  • praxis
    Can we escape the mechanisms for happiness we’ve evolved to have?Nichiren-123

'Mechanisms for happiness' is an odd distinction and could probably use clarification. Is happiness sense pleasure? Is it a sense of well-being or fulfillment?

Or is energy better spent learning to live in accordance with our evolutionary make-up? Learning to be happy by following our nature?Nichiren-123

Is there a choice?
  • Nichiren-123

Thanks for talking to me about this :)

I'll reply to your second point first:

"Is there a choice?"

My answer is: Maybe?
    For instance Buddhists believe lasting happiness (i.e. peace) can be attained by letting go of attachment to things. Maybe some form of practice could 'rewire' your brain or prove more fulfilling than chasing things, eternally on the treadmill.

Reply to your first point:

" 'Mechanisms for happiness' is an odd distinction and could probably use clarification."

My working definition is, as stated above, that Happiness is the sense of release and rest achieved by various means. So a mechanism for happiness, is anything that brings about that state of ease. It might be the relief of hunger by eating, for example.

" Is happiness sense pleasure? Is it a sense of well-being or fulfillment?"

That is really making me think. I guess I'd agree with you that it's well-being and fulfillment (I'm assuming that's what you believe???). Sense pleasure provides that - Just only for a short while. Finding lasting, stable well-being and fulfillment without relying on sense-pleasure sounds like a much more realistic thing to achieve...
  • praxis
    Finding lasting, stable well-being and fulfillment without relying on sense-pleasure sounds like a much more realistic thing to achieve...Nichiren-123

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. A person may pursue sense pleasure or they can pursue well-being or a sense of fulfillment. They could pursue all of these things. I think we can agree that the exclusive pursuit of sense pleasure can be problematic because it's not "in accordance with our evolutionary make-up," as you say. We simply didn't evolve to sit around and pleasure ourselves so it will necessarily be unfulfilling.
  • Nichiren-123

I believe that Sense-pleasure and fulfillment are different methods to the same end. Sense-pleasure can lead to a (temporary) sense of well being and fulfillment. For instance, can you not say you feel fulfilled after eating a delicious chocolate cake? Do you not feel your stress melt away while lying down in the sun for half an hour? My point is that you feel peaceful and at ease in the wake of sense pleasure. So pursuing sense pleasure and pursuing fulfillment are just two methods for realizing the same end. The end of relief, peace, fulfillment, ease, well-being. In short, Happiness.

The problem is that, as we've both agreed on, is that sense-pleasure is not sustainable. However, at the same time, it's what we've evolved to do. We've evolved to seek out pleasure at every opportunity. As I said above, this is great for the survival of the species but tragic for the individual.

What Happiness is there in life if we are constantly chasing after more, more and more?

Do you think (honestly) whether we have the option of jumping off the treadmill? refusing to play the game and looking elsewhere for fulfillment? Or do we have to be slaves to our desires for the entirety of our lives?
  • praxis
    The problem is that, as we've both agreed on, is that sense-pleasure is not sustainable. However, at the same time, it's what we've evolved to do. We've evolved to seek out pleasure at every opportunity.Nichiren-123

Hold on a second, we haven't agreed on this. I wrote, "We simply didn't evolve to sit around and pleasure ourselves so it will necessarily be unfulfilling." We've evolved to do many things that are unsatisfying, at least in the immediate short-term. We've evolved to delay gratification and make sacrifices.

Will you acknowledge this?
  • Nichiren-123

I'm not sure. We can delay these things in the expectation of future happiness but just as the happiness from sense pleasure doesn't last, I think the same goes for less obvious things. For instance you could spend long, hard periods studying for a qualification. (i.e delayed gratification and making sacrifice) but the 'high' from achieving your qualification will fade away as well, over time.

I'd appreciate if you could put forward your exact view on the subject so we can compare and relate?
  • praxis
    I'm not sure. We can delay these things in the expectation of future happiness but just as the happiness from sense pleasure doesn't last, I think the same goes for less obvious things.Nichiren-123

In many circumstances, people do selfless things with no expectation of reward or happiness. Indeed, in many situations, they do selfless things with the expectation of pain, suffering, and even death.

For instance you could spend long, hard periods studying for a qualification. (i.e delayed gratification and making sacrifice) but the 'high' from achieving your qualification will fade away as well, over time.Nichiren-123

In this example, a person is not doing it to get an achievement high. You say yourself that they're "studying for a qualification."

I'd appreciate if you could put forward your exact view on the subject so we can compare and relate?Nichiren-123

I need to understand the questions in the OP before I can answer them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment