• Frank Apisa
    Rather than cause divergence in threads where the words "believe/belief" rear their ugly heads, I'm starting this one to question the usage. I'll invite people whom I quote to comment. Some may choose to come and discuss it...some may pass. So be it.

Starting with this one from the thread, Potential vs Actual, by Gregory:

So the system of theology in the Dark Ages (and latter) took Aristotle's idea that God is most actual, and that there is a hierarchy in "creation" where those higher up have more actuality than the lower. This literal deification of action has always puzzled me. First, maybe in thought the highest thing would be an infinite mind. That doesn't mean it must be that way in reality. I tend to believe that everything in creation has the same potency and actuality. How is this related to yin and yang however? Plotinus thought the highest Good to be pure potentiality. There is no clear argument from the Thomist camp to refute this (though they try so hard). Why is activity even better than passivity in any system? — Gregory

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/7947/potential-vs-actual

What did you mean that "you tend to 'believe' that, Gregory?

Can you state it clearly without the use of the word "believe?"
  • Gregory
    What did you mean that "you tend to 'believe' that, Gregory?

Can you state it clearly without the use of the word "believe?"
    Frank Apisa

People get hunches based on their reasoning. If it becomes clearer the more I mull over it, I say I believe. I tend to say "I believe" for everything I currently think (there's the replacement work) because I am open to being wrong about everything
  • tim wood
    Why is activity even better than passivity in any system? — Gregory

Are you confusing actual with action?
  • Frank Apisa
    People get hunches based on their reasoning. If it becomes clearer the more I mull over it, I say I believe. I tend to say "I believe" for everything I currently think (there's the replacement work) because I am open to being wrong about everythingGregory

Thank you, Gregory. I also get hunches...and that kind of thing.

The use of the word "believe" for hunch, or guess, or estimate, or so many other words is fine...except there are times when it makes more sense to use "the other words."

tim wood
    Why is activity even better than passivity in any system?
    — Gregory

Are you confusing actual with action?
    tim wood

Probably would be better to take that question over to the other thread, Tim.
  • 3017amen

Frank!

I think you could parse Belief a couple ways.

1. Belief could be defined as induction v. deduction. Having a belief in something infers something. It infers that a something exists. That, as apposed to a purely objective and/or universal truth, like mathematics, which exists in a deductive manner.

2. A Belief could comprise the following infamous Kantian judgement: all events must have a cause. The statement itself, if true, is something that would be beyond pure reason; both empirically and a priori/mathematical/deductively.

You probably already knew that!
  • tim wood
    Probably would be better to take that question over to the other thread, Tim.Frank Apisa

And why would that be, Frank?
  • aletheist

As usual, I will offer something from Charles Sanders Peirce, in this case his somewhat famous definition of a belief as a habit of conduct.
    And what, then, is belief? It is the demi-cadence which closes a musical phrase in the symphony of our intellectual life. We have seen that it has just three properties: First, it is something that we are aware of; second, it appeases the irritation of doubt; and, third, it involves the establishment in our nature of a rule of action, or, say for short, a habit ... The essence of belief is the establishment of a habit; and different beliefs are distinguished by the different modes of action to which they give rise. If beliefs do not differ in this respect, if they appease the same doubt by producing the same rule of action, then no mere differences in the manner of consciousness of them can make them different beliefs, any more than playing a tune in different keys is playing different tunes. — Peirce, 1878
    As the old saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words"; what I truly believe is more reliably discerned from what I do than from what I say.
  • Frank Apisa
    tim wood
    Probably would be better to take that question over to the other thread, Tim.
    — Frank Apisa

And why would that be, Frank?
    tim wood

Because that is where that is being discussed, Tim.
  • SophistiCat
    Not this stupid shit again
  • Frank Apisa
    3017amen
    ↪Frank Apisa

Frank!

I think you could parse Belief a couple ways.

1. Belief could be defined as induction v. deduction. Having a belief in something infers something. It infers that a something exists. That, as apposed to a purely objective and/or universal truth, like mathematics, which exists in a deductive manner.

2. A Belief could comprise the following infamous Kantian judgement: all events must have a cause. The statement itself, if true, is something that would be beyond pure reason; both empirically and a priori/mathematical/deductively.

You probably already knew that!
    3017amen

I suspect that "believe" is the most misused word in the English language...and insofar as I can influence people NOT to use it, I will make the attempt.

Not going all that well!

Most of the time it doesn't matter. The "believe" in "I 'believe' the Giants will win"...is harmless. Who gives a hoot if "believe" or "estimate" is used. Same thing for "I 'believe' I'll have a piece of cake with my coffee"; or "I 'believe' The Godfather was a better movie than The Godfather II.

The alternative words do not substantially change the information being communicated...nor would the alternative words make the comment any closer to true.

But when discussing things like, "Do any gods exist?" or "Do no gods exist?"...the matter is not so inconsequential.
  • Frank Apisa
    aletheist
    ↪Frank Apisa
    As usual, I will offer something from Charles Sanders Peirce, in this case his somewhat famous definition of a belief as a habit of conduct.
    And what, then, is belief? It is the demi-cadence which closes a musical phrase in the symphony of our intellectual life. We have seen that it has just three properties: First, it is something that we are aware of; second, it appeases the irritation of doubt; and, third, it involves the establishment in our nature of a rule of action, or, say for short, a habit ... The essence of belief is the establishment of a habit; and different beliefs are distinguished by the different modes of action to which they give rise. If beliefs do not differ in this respect, if they appease the same doubt by producing the same rule of action, then no mere differences in the manner of consciousness of them can make them different beliefs, any more than playing a tune in different keys is playing different tunes.
    — Peirce, 1878
    As the old saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words"; what I truly believe is more reliably discerned from what I do than from what I say.
    aletheist

Obviously I disagree in total with Peirce.

I do agree with the sentiment being conveyed with, "Actions speak louder than words."
  • Frank Apisa
    SophistiCat
    Not this stupid shit again
    SophistiCat

What "stupid shit" is that?
  • tim wood
    Because that is where that is being discussed, Tim.Frank Apisa

Really? My question is being discussed there? I do not find it over there. How is my question being discussed over there?
  • tim wood
    Why is activity even better than passivity in any system?
    — Gregory
    @Gregory
    Hi Gregory. Are you confusing actual with action?
  • aletheist
    Obviously I disagree in total with Peirce.Frank Apisa
    Why do you disagree? And why would that be obvious?
  • A Seagull
    where the words "believe/belief" rear their ugly headsFrank Apisa

Well I find the words belief, believe extremely useful and meaningful.

Your beliefs are what you believe, they are the ideas you hold in your head.
  • Borraz

"The use of the word "believe" for hunch, or guess, or estimate, or so many other words is fine...except there are times when it makes more sense to use "the other words.""

Okay. Everybody speaks about physics and math.
  • fdrake
    What do you mean by "mean" in the OP question?
  • Frank Apisa
    aletheist
    Obviously I disagree in total with Peirce.
    — Frank Apisa
    Why do you disagree?
    aletheist

Mostly because what he says there is contrived...a sermon that sounds intellectual but misses the mark.

I will confine myself to professed "beliefs" about the true nature of the REALITY of existence...what exists in the REALITY...and what doesn't. (See my comment to Amen up above.)

ANY...and EVERY..."belief" about the REALITY of existence...is a guess. A blind guess at that.

EVERY answer to questions such as: "Is there a God?"; "Are there gods?"; "Are there no gods?"' "Is there an 'afterlife'?"; "Is there nothing after death?"; "Is what we humans call 'the universe' all that exists?"; "Is what we think of as "the physical universe" just an illusion?"; "Are there beings in other dimensions right here on Earth?"...and questions of that sort...

...is a blind guess, but almost every one of them is answered with a variation of, "Well I 'believe' that blah, blah, blah."

The word "believe" in that context is nothing but a disguise for the words "blind guess."

In my estimation, the thesis on the word Peirce offered and which you quoted above...misses that completely. Charles Peirce was an incredibly intelligent man...but he simply missed the boat on this issue.

And why would that be obvious?

My apologies. It would be obvious to anyone who has read the thousands of times I have gone over this. (See the remarks of 180Proof and SophisticCat above.)
  • Frank Apisa
    A Seagull
    where the words "believe/belief" rear their ugly heads
    — Frank Apisa

Well I find the words belief, believe extremely useful and meaningful.

Your beliefs are what you believe, they are the ideas you hold in your head.
    A Seagull

Thank you. See my remarks to Aletheist.
  • Frank Apisa
    Borraz
    ↪Frank Apisa

"The use of the word "believe" for hunch, or guess, or estimate, or so many other words is fine...except there are times when it makes more sense to use "the other words.""

Okay. Everybody speaks about physics and math.
    Borraz

Sorry, Borraz...you lost me here.
  • Frank Apisa
    fdrake
    fdrake

What do you mean by "what?"
  • fdrake
    What do you mean by "what?"Frank Apisa

What do you mean by "what", "do", "you", "mean", "by" and "what"?
  • Frank Apisa
    fdrake
    fdrake

Okay, I was a bit abrupt there. Question like that seem to be a stalling or diverting tactic.

But let me assume you were not stalling or diverting, and were asking in order to make a comment on it.

So...take a look at your question, "What do you MEAN by "mean" in the OP question?"...

...figure out what you meant by "mean" in your question...

...assume I meant that same thing...

...and make your comment.
  • Frank Apisa
    fdrake
    What do you mean by "what?"
    — Frank Apisa

What do you mean by "what", "do", "you", "mean", "by" and "what"?
    fdrake

See my response above.
  • fdrake
    Okay, I was a bit abrupt there. Question like that seem to be a stalling or diverting tactic.Frank Apisa

What do you mean by "I" and "was" and "question"?

...assume I meant that same thing...Frank Apisa

If you can do this, then the OP unasks itself.
  • aletheist
    Charles Peirce was an incredibly intelligent man...but he simply missed the boat on this issue.Frank Apisa
    I suspect that your view on this is much closer to his than you realize. If a purported belief makes no difference whatsoever in our conduct, then it is not a real belief, just empty words.
  • Frank Apisa
    fdrake
    Okay, I was a bit abrupt there. Question like that seem to be a stalling or diverting tactic.
    — Frank Apisa

What do you mean by "I" and "was" and "question"?

...assume I meant that same thing...
    — Frank Apisa

If you can do this, then the OP unasks itself.
    fdrake

I do not know what you are talking about...

...and I suspect you do not know what you are talking about either.
  • Frank Apisa
    aletheist
    Charles Peirce was an incredibly intelligent man...but he simply missed the boat on this issue.
    — Frank Apisa
    I suspect that your view on this is much closer to his than you realize. If a purported belief makes no difference whatsoever in our conduct, then it is not a real belief, just empty words.
    aletheist

Perhaps. I have not read Peirce extensively.

But I have done a thorough investigation into the use of the word "believe" (and "belief") and when used in discussions about the REALITY of existence...IT IS A DISGUISE FOR THE WORDS "BLIND GUESS."

The question for me is never "Is it a disguise"...but rather, "Is the disguise being used intentionally...or is it an accident that the person using it is not even aware of?"

When I challenge people on it...they insist they are not making a guess. Usually, they just say things like, "I mean I REALLY, REALLY "believe" it" or "I very firmly "believe" it."

So whether it was accidental at first, people using it the way I am dealing with here...insist that it means something other than a blind guess...when, in fact, it cannot be anything but a blind guess.

(One exception: A statement "There is at least one GOD" could be more than a guess. IF a god exists...it could reveal itself to any individual. If someone suggests a personal revelation rather than a guess...I ask, "How do you know you are not deluding yourself."

Interesting answers I get to that.
  • aletheist

Peirce recognized that even what we "know" is grounded in guesses, or if we want to use a more sophisticated term, retroductive hypotheses. That includes the notion of reality itself.
    What is reality? Perhaps there isn’t any such thing at all. As I have repeatedly insisted, it is but a retroduction, a working hypothesis which we try, our one desperate forlorn
    hope of knowing anything.
    — Peirce, 1898
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.