• fdrake
    One fact is here taken for granted, and I wonder whether this is a necessary outcome in this setup, or whether this is an additional assumption: after some time the system ejects one body that flies off into the infinite distance, leaving behind a binary system. This is a dramatic transition in the system's dynamics, which helps understand the criterion of "irreversibility" that they use:SophistiCat

:up: Good point.
  • jgill
    "In mathematics, a dynamical system is time-reversible if the forward evolution is one-to-one" — jgill

Well, your wiki reference gives rather more succinct definitions, though they may require some unpacking.
    SophistiCat

I don't wish to belabor the point, and, to keep it elementary and overly simplistic, avoiding the unpacking, the example

shows the difficulty in reversing steps in a dynamical system, an expansion, this one very well behaved. The paper in question is far more sophisticated and I can't argue in that advanced physics environment. Although it makes more sense to deal with system reversibility than pointwise reversibility.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.