• WatchingRook
    I apologize if this question seems a little obvious, but this is the first forum I've been on that isn't just an image board. If I want to get involved in a discussion do I have to read every reply that came before me? It seems prudent in smaller threads, but when you pass a certain threshold of number of replies it seems like it just becomes really intimidating. For a post with 200+ replies should I read every last thing?
  • ZhouBoTong
    If I want to get involved in a discussion do I have to read every reply that came before me? It seems prudent in smaller threads, but when you pass a certain threshold of number of replies it seems like it just becomes really intimidating.WatchingRook

Sounds like you have it right. I do my best to read MOST posts before jumping in, but people here are reasonable as long as you don't jump in the middle and start disrupting an ongoing discussion (beneath each reply it shows how long ago it was posted - if 5 people have been going back and forth in a thread for the last 3 days and you jump in responding to the OP from 3 years ago, it can seem out of place).

I also have found that the moderators (not me) are pretty consistent about giving warnings on behavior before anyone gets particularly upset.

Also some threads (for example: All Trump Conversations Here thread) have thousands of posts and are much more stream-of-consciousness type threads...so I doubt anyone cares if you have read many of those posts before chiming in.

However, the more serious philosophy type threads (which often have far fewer posts) probably assume you are reading most everything.

I am no expert around here, but the people running this website usually give responses on these types of questions. I noticed it had been a few hours, so I gave my thoughts. If no one else says anything, I think we are safe to assume my advice was mostly correct...hopefully it mostly answers your question?

Welcome to the forum :smile:
  • Baden
    . If no one else says anything, I think we are safe to assume my advice was mostly correct..ZhouBoTong

:up:

Post in Feedback for a guaranteed answer from mods. Welcome to the forum!
  • WatchingRook
    Thank you for the responses! It's nice to have some of these questions validated!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.