• TheMadFool
    Is it just me or has the proportion of "beautiful", herein meant both figuratively and literally, men AND women gone up over time. Conversely, are there less "ugly" people in the world today? Nature, without our involvement, has its own eugenics program by which the fit, the "beautiful", are given preferential treatment insofar as procreation is concerned. Humans, if they ever regulate procreation, would be simply following in nature's footsteps.

I'm talking about eugenics here.

That said, the impression I get from people is that eugenics is immoral; this is probably related in some way to our maternal/paternal instincts whereby positive feelings develop towards the "ugly", the unfit, and we, instead of letting nature do its thing and cull the herd, exert ourselves in ensuring not only a life for the "ugly" but also fulfillment in such a life (which may involve having a family of one's own). It seems people are Kantian in this regard because a person's value transcends faers utility to society - people are ends in themselves. I maybe wrong though.
  • IvoryBlackBishop

That's a good point; the fact that people have to demonstrate more responsibility or competence to get a driver's license than to have a child is somewhat disturbing.
  • Cabbage Farmer
    Under what circumstances or conditions do people believe that procreation should be regulated; or do they believe in completely unregulated procreation.IvoryBlackBishop
    I think it's a good idea in principle, if you can find equitable policies to do the job -- especially in technologically advanced global societies facing grave problems of distribution, depletion, and pollution.
  • god must be atheist
    Even a porcupine can do that...and there is a lot more danger involved.Frank Apisa

:-)
  • christian2017

With modernized building codes (as well as zoning laws to some degree) adjusted for globalized factory material production saturation, we could have a much higher population in the U.S. than we do. Obviously when populations get to be like in Japan (as opposed to the current U.S. population), there will have to be more creative solutions to deal with dense populations and the economy.

Canada, Siberia and even currently the U.S. have plenty of land and cold temperatures to handle a more dense population. Global warming isn't a problem in some parts of the world. Having an effective economy with the desire for a free market is possible if land is properly used.

Electric trike lanes are great for a free market and some people claim for whatever reason that it is good for the environment.

There is no need for population control in many countries through out the world.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.