• Shawn
    Once in heaven your free will disappears.

Think about this for a moment, if you go to heaven and all your desires are fulfilled whilst denying the possibility of fulfilling negative desires, then doesn't this make free will redundant?

To me it seems like some sort of sanitarium in perpetually. Something horrifyingly undesirable ...
  • Relativist
    Free will can only disappear if it exists in the first place. But supposing it does, what makes you think free will necessarily disappears?
  • Shawn

It becomes infinitesimally small ?
  • IvoryBlackBishop
    I'm not aware of any literal Biblical text about "going to heaven", much as how most simplistic, popular depictions of a heaven or a hell seem to have little bearing not only on the text of the Bible, but on theology as well.

For that matter, the notion of a "paradise" for good people or 'heroes' upon death, and an underworld or place of torment for the wicked (as well as an "intermediate" place for people who were neither particularly good or particularly evil) seems fairly ubiquitous to many historical religions, including pagan or polytheistic ones, such as Greek or Roman folk religion.
  • unenlightened
    To me it seems like some sort of sanitarium in perpetually. Something horrifyingly undesirable ...Wallows

No.
    Don't play with other people's deepest ideas. If you don't like the taste, choose another flavour. Heaven as undesirable is just fucking about.
  • Relativist
    How about: the sheer ecstacy of being in heaven reduces the temptation to sin to vanishingly small levels.

I should become a theist.
  • Baden
    To me it seems like some sort of sanitarium in perpetuallyWallows

Welcome to where time stands still. No one leaves and no one will.
  • Shawn
    I'm unsure which comment to accept as the answer. Please discuss.
  • BC
    For what purpose would a will be needed in heaven? IF, as has been suggested, being in the presence of God is like (LIKE, mind you, not the same thing.) an unending, and perpetually great orgasm. It just feels great to be in heaven. What need of a will in hell? For that matter, if determinism gets you through life in one piece, what need of free will here?

Milton proposed that Lucifer (bearer of light) rebelled; "better to rule in hell than serve in heaven". But Lucifer was never a mortal, and Milton isn't canonical scripture. Lucifer was a native heavenly being. Mortals are not.

Heaven is a nice idea; I don't believe in it. I don't believe in hell either. And I don't think we have complete free will here. We have instances where we can, perhaps, freely choose something. A lot of the time we don't have much choice.
  • Pfhorrest
    “Free will” in an incompatibilist sense is a bad thing anyway. You want compatibilist free will, which would not be lost in heaven.
  • Shawn

Sighs of relief! And, I'm done analyzing the logic here.

Over and out!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.