• Jacob-B
    A cosmic DNA?

According to the hard deterministic view, there is an inevitability about the evolution of the universe that is the result of the causal chain of events. That chain started at the singularity of the Big bang. In my opinion, that implies that everything in our universe down to my writing these lines was somehow inherent in some initial specific properties of the Big Bang; sort of a Cosmic DNA. Not being a determinist I cannot come to term with such possibility, but logically I find it hard to refute it.
  • DingoJones

Maybe you are a determinist after all, if you cannot deny the logic of determinism.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by “inherent in some initial specific properties”? You are making an analogy to DNA, so do you mean there was some kind of blueprint, the way we have our genetic blueprints in our DNA?
  • Pantagruel
    In The Open Universe Popper presents a neat argument that, if you try to introduce the Laplacean demon into a relativistic framework, the necessary information to "predict" the future (=determinism) can never be available. So the universe must be "indetermined".

It's in section 17, "Is Classical Physics Accountable".
  • Jacob-B
    I would not describe as a blueprint as that would smack of a 'design'.
    what I am saying is that that if one believes on determinism, one has to conclude that the shape of the universe at any time was determined during the infinitesimal small stretch of time post the big bang,
  • Zelebg
    A cosmic DNA?

According to the hard deterministic view, there is an inevitability about the evolution of the universe that is the result of the causal chain of events. That chain started at the singularity of the Big bang. In my opinion, that implies that everything in our universe down to my writing these lines was somehow inherent in some initial specific properties of the Big Bang; sort of a Cosmic DNA. Not being a determinist I cannot come to term with such possibility, but logically I find it hard to refute it.

That’s right. Even if the universe is not deterministic there is no denying all this existed at least as a potential reality. Even if the universe emerged from nothing, before the nothing all this still existed somewhere in there as a potential reality. Even if the universe was created by god, before the god all this again existed as a potential reality. As a matter of logic, whatever came first, and regardless of determinism, there has to be some brute fact, something that just is, and all this existed as a potential reality even back then, if not before, whatever is that supposed to mean.
  • DingoJones

Well ya, thats what determinism is. Thats its defining feature.
  • Gregory
    A cosmic DNA?Jacob-B

Schumann resonances (the pulse of the earth) is the same as human delpha waves and is needed for life to being. There is much interconnection because parts in our environment. They don't prove their is a god. Instead they show how connected we are even to the skies and that is fundamentally the religion people start myths

In The Open Universe Popper presents a neat argument that, if you try to introduce the Laplacean demon into a relativistic framework, the necessary information to "predict" the future (=determinism) can never be available. So the universe must be "indetermined".

It's in section 17, "Is Classical Physics Accountable".
    Pantagruel

If compatabilism is true, science is indeed impossible. No longer can you say "I randomly selected this portion" because nothing is random anymore. We are completely at the mercy of a peek a boo universe that can do with us as it wilts
  • Jacob-B

My understanding of comtabilisim is that under certain circumstances you can make your own free will choice which is not deterministic. It is a bit like 'eating the cake and having it' but many philosophers
    agree with it.
  • Zelebg
    My understanding of comtabilisim is that under certain circumstances you can make your own free will choice which is not deterministic. It is a bit like 'eating the cake and having it' but many philosophers
    agree with it.

Free will is only 100% free if it is 100% determined. That is 100% determined by the “self” and 0% determined by anything else. Therefore ‘free will’ is not about determinism, but about boundaries of “self" entity, its independence and autonomy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.