• ThePhilosopherFromDixie
    Howdy folks. I have a video that I thought that you guys would enjoy. Basically, it's an analysis and extension of Xenophanes' negative theology.

Do we have any Xenophanes fans on the forum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwUZQ6DAd8k
  • Terrapin Station
    A lot of your argument is based on likelihood. What are you basing likelihood on? (For example, when you comment that dog-gods, pug-gods etc. are unlikely)
  • Ciceronianus
    Do we have any Xenophanes fans on the forumThePhilosopherFromDixie

"One god greatest among gods and men,
    not at all like mortals in body or in thought."

He's admirable in many ways, yes.
  • ThePhilosopherFromDixie
    Terrapin:

It's each additional addition that makes it progressively more unlikely. I had in mind the Sam Harris interview on The Young Turks.

Basically, he argues in the following way:

There is likehood x of Jesus coming back (as Christians claim). The likelihood decreases if you add that not only is He coming back, but that he's coming back to x location (Jacksonville, MS, if I recall correctly as the Mormon claim).

Likewise, the likelihood decreases the more additions you add.

God -> gods -> dog gods -> pug dog dogs -> pug dog gods who eat kibble and chase postal workers.

Admittedly, this "unlikely" argument isn't directly from Xenophanes. It's more an extension of what he's arguing.

I think, at its core, the bit that's really Xenophanes' directly is the psychological projection bit.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.